Vacuum Pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Really.......any of the vacuum pumps should work. After all, just how big of a container are you going to use? Unless you plan to do this for a living..... the Vacuum pumps from Harbor Freight should work just fine. Wait till they have a sale and use a 20% off coupon and the price shouldn't break ya.

stonepecker

I got my setup from Exotic Blanks.
Got the pump from Harbor Freight. When it is on sale and with a coupon.......just a little over $100.

Ordered on a Friday......delivered on Tuesday.

flyitfast

Check Curtis's site for recommended pumps. He's forgotten more than most of us will ever know about stabilizing.
I bought the Robinair 15310 as suggested by Curtis at Turn_Tex. It provides all the vacuum needed for stabilizing and is very quiet. I bought in on Amazon for $112 with free shipping. Got it in 3 days. Can't beat the price.
Curtis has excellent tutorials and guidance on his website.
Highly recommend.
Gordon

Charlie69

I would not recommend using one of these as it is a vacuum generator and uses your compressor to make it work and depending on what size compressor you have will just about run continuously. Best to by a vacuum pump.

Lin.

I'll second that. The generator runs on the venturi principal which requires a constant flow of air to create vacuum. I have one to degas epoxy resin that I use for other hobbies but for any job that needs more than a couple of minutes of vacuum I use a pump.

Charlie

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Best to stay away form venturi style generators. As mentioned, they use your compressor. To me, it does not make sense to spend over $100 on that vacuum generator which will need your $300 compressor to work and will possibly shorten the life of that $300 compressor. All so that you don't have to spend $115 on a real vacuum pump!

Venturi pumps suck, IMO. They are noisy and the vacuum level tended up fluctuate some with the compressor kicking in and out. They also work your compressor quite hard unless you have a large tank. Also, the one mentioned here is only capable of a 25" vac at sea level. This is only a 83.5% vac which means you can only remove 83.5% of the air from the blank at best.

Much better to go with a dedicated rotary vane pump, IMO. I suggest the Robinair 15310 if you are on a budget. It is $115 or so delivered from Amazon.com. I prefer it over the HF pumps but it is still made in China. However, it is made by a company that is well known for vacuum pumps while the HF is made by a company known for cheap tools. That said, if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can find a JB Eliminator on E-bay or your local pawn shops for not a lot more. These are made in USA and far and above any of the China made pumps.

Top Bottom