Vacuum Containers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russb

Looking for a container to use for stabilizing pen blanks and bowls. When I first saw glass containers used it seemed very dangerous. It obviously works for other so I cannot argue with success. Does anyone have suggestions for a inexpensive container for stabilizing larger pieces. I tried a 5 gallon kerosene can and it collapsed. Another turner uses an old, very old, very heavy duty paint can. I would like to locate a container that is fairly common. Thanks in advance for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terrymiller

I use a 8" sewer pipe with a piece of plexi on top and bottom. The size is big enough to fit a 1 gallon paint can or even the 1 gallon jar inside.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />I use a 8" sewer pipe with a piece of plexi on top and bottom. The size is big enough to fit a 1 gallon paint can or even the 1 gallon jar inside.

If it works for you, that's fine. But the solvents are designed to work on the material you are using for the process. Gotta fail sooner or later.

Nolan

I was gonna use a 1 gallon pickle jar. Ebay has 2.5 gallon sometimes, the kind that used to sit on store counter.
Nolan

dubdrvrkev

One if the best things you could use is a vacuum desiccator. They aren't cheap, but they come up on ebay fairly commonly or if you have a surplus place in your area you might check there. Another thing that I haven't tried but I thought might work would be an old pressure cooker.
I used a good ol' mason jar for now. Once I get a real vacuum system, I'll get a real chamber too.

terrymiller

Frank you are right about the solution dissolving the parts of the chamber, that is why I use a container inside of the pipe filled enough to cover the blanks. Eventually I will have to replace the plexiglass lid and bottom but the pipe I'm sure will last many years it is almost 3/4" thick.

Cowboy

Originally posted by Russb
<br />How much vacuum do you all pull when doing pen blanks?

I am getting 24" with my pepper jar. Only been through a few cycles, but everything seems good.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom