USS California BB-44 Teak Decking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I was lucky enough to purchase about six feet of the original teak decking off the battleship USS California BB-44.

When Japanese carrier planes raided Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, she was badly damaged by torpedoes and bombs, slowly settling to the harbor bottom over the next few days. Her salvage, repair and modernization represented a major undertaking by the Pearl Harbor and Puget Sound Navy Yards and was not completed until January 1944.

After repairs, she saw action in WWI and Korea.

I can't imagine how old the wood itself is.

The wood is 4" wide and 3/4" thick and pretty gritty on the top. However, the amazing thing about teak is it is extremely resistant the wood past the grit looks great.

This wood will make some great looking pens.

One none: She has three pieces left, so PM me it you want her email address.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

No the teak from exotic hard wood doesn't come with anything more than what was on the web page. It does look like the deck boards
WT31.jpg

photo of the top surface of the boards.
:clown:

PTsideshow

You did get the better of the two they sell, That is the same wand that is used in a lot of schools and other public buildings branded by other trade names. The other one works hit or miss, I like mine. It also works well for find lost jewelry in a small area of the garden.
:clown:

D.Oliver

I think something like an Atrax would be good. Shows off the wood well, but isn't too blingly.

Fireengines

Here is my first pen made from this wood. I used the new Noveau Sceptre 24kt Gold and Chrome Ballpoint Twist Pen Kit from PSI. To be honest, this may have been a poor choice of pen. However, I thought it depicted the era when the USS California was launched in 1921 and I had one in stock.

On a side note, I gave two of the blanks to a pen turing friend of mine. His boss's father was at Pearl Harbor on December 7.

Attachments

• uss california pen.jpg
    uss california pen.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 186

Fireengines

I completed two Triton pens using the USS California wood. The pen on the left was coated with teak oil first then covered with CA. The one on the right, covered only with CA.

My lesson leaned on this project is the gold plating on the now discontinued Woodcraft Gold Plated Triton Pen does not last long. My new pen of choice for this is the Atrax Roller Ball Pen.

Attachments

• uss california rollerball 1.jpg
    uss california rollerball 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 185
  • uss california rollerball 2.jpg
    uss california rollerball 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 167

Sub Vet 10

A Navy buddy of mine commissioned me to make four pens for his family. He's a big "diggit" like me and I'm going to do one for him in the BB34 teak. But I have no idea where to start at all for price point on rare historical wood that's 60-100 years old.

Top Bottom