USPS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ross

:mad:
I ordered a couple of things from a vendor and they were shipped by USPS. They were delivered today and our mailman put our regular mail in the mailbox. Then he brought the tool order which wouldn't fit in the mailbox to the door and rang the doorbell. He handed the order to me and didn't say a word or respond to my "hello" or "thanks". No wonder they are loosing money!:mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Usually the lady that delivers our mail might say "Postal service" or something after knocking/ringing the doorbell. Usually she's long gone by the time I can get to the door and get it open. Personally I think it's the spiders that are out on our porch.... :cool:

Lucky2

Hmmm, the mailman here just opens the door and sets the package on the floor, I usually see him drive out the driveway, that's how I know there's a package waiting at the door for me. But, as far as a greeting goes, he'll talk the ears off of you if you give him a chance.
Len

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's Canada Post that I deal with. About the only thing good about them and their service, is the door to door delivery. We are soon losing door to door delivery of regular mail, and people aren't to happy about that.
Len

Last edited:

WriteON

Where can a 1000 black and white loafers be found?

USPS. Seriously. I just want my mail delivered in good shape. I honestly think they are doing a great job. Give them some credit.

Wayne L

Both UPS and Fedex are using what they call smart post, they ship the package through their system to the facility that serves your area and then the driver drops all of the packages off at your local Post Office for final delivery. The idea is that this is more cost effective because the Postal carrier goes by every address each day. This of course usually adds an extra day to the delivery time.

I am lucky that we now have a good postal carrier, the one we had before thought that as long as everyone got something each day and she did not have anything left at the end of the route she had done her job.

RickLong

Guess I am lucky with my postal carrier... At two of my local shows that he generally attends he will stay after and help me break down my booth... Because of this, every year during Xmas he gets a nice pen from me... lol...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well I get the same routine when UPS drops off a package. Ring the doorbell and leave the package on the porch. My USPS carrier is great. She stops and checks if I have packages to be picked up even when I forget to schedule a carrier pickup and brings my regular mail when I do schedule a pickup, she also brings all of my mail when she delivers a package to my house. FedEx will often just drop them in front of my garage door. And DHL will just leave them on the porch if I'm not there.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Be thankful he rang the doorbell and handed you the package. Our mailperson stands on the ground and throws the package over the porch rail - INCLUDING packages marked "FRAGILE". She's terrible. Yours shounds like a dream come true. BTW her "station manager" won't do a thing about it either. On the other hand our UPS driver is great. He always has a milk bone for my Service Dog Ruby and will ring the doorbell and hand us the package. Once when I got new wheechair batteries (2 batteries at 80 pounds each) he carried them into the house for me. He's great.

Last edited:

Dan26

Our carrier is great. He's friendly and smiles a lot. He dropped a package on our oorch then saw me in the hammock out back and came over to tell the mail is on the porch.

Every carrier is an individual and have their own personality. Sometimes it seems no matter how much training they get they just don't care. We had one carrier that would leave our mailbix door open. My wife put a brownue with a note asking him to make sure the door closes all the way to keep our mail dry. It worked.

BSea

Frankly, if it's on time, and not broken, I'm fine. However, when someone may be having a bad day (which might have been the case), a smile goes a long way to building a good relationship. My UPS & USPS delivery guys are great people. And one thing to remember, if they get to know and LIKE you, you tend to get better service. (See Dan above)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I love USPS - it's doing everything right.

In a time of increased crunch, increase service...makes sense!

On the flip side, we have our postal service. Canada post decreases service, raises fees, and then complains that they're losing money...charging over a dollar for a stamp, and stopping door-to-door delivery at a time when email is free is just asking to lose money.

WriteON

Something to consider if your pens are shipped priority mail..... set up an account and your outgoing package will be picked up at your door or mailbox....and the rate is slightly cheaper. Shipping materials (boxes) are free. You do need a printer to print a mailing/shipping label. I'm lazy and do not want to take packages to the post office. I enjoy the convenience of a having a free pick up service.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
A while back I was expecting a package from Amazon via UPS surepost. It was out for delivery so when I watch our carrier put out mail in the box and drive off I was s bit surprised. I found a pickup ticket in our box saying that there was no available to sign. I called Amazon and expected what happened they told me they would check into it and call me back. They did and told me my package would be delivered the next day. It was our carried it to me and said " Here's your so important package" Amazon called me to make sure the package had arrived. I told them it had and the comment the carrier made. They filled a complaint on my behalf with the post office.

Flaturner

Yay USPS

My carrier brings my packages (and the rest of my mail) right up to the door. I just wish people would stop picking on them. They are not losing money. They don't make money hand over fist but they should be in the black. However, the federal government hits them with a HUGE fee allegedly to prefund their employees retirement. (If you believe that I have a bridge I want to unload, CHEAP.) The last payment was for $5.5 BILLION (yes, that is a B). Granted, they did default but there are a lot of zeroes after those 5s. I have only missed one delivery in the last several years from them (and that was my fault: I should know my own address.) And they are always on time or early.

kenlholley

As a 36 year USPS employee, unfortunately I agree with the comments about poor delivery service. I work in a large facility repairing the machines that sort the mail. The employees I deal with are for the most part hard working, conscientious, employees who care about the mail. Unfortunately the employees who interact with the public, window clerks, carriers etc, are the ones who give the USPS its bad reputation.

I've had my share of packages missent, going to Puerto Rico instead of Ft. Lauderdale, but when you consider the volume we process every day, its a very small percentage.

Speaking for the employees who process the mail and packages, I am sorry that you have to deal with these rude Postal employees.

Even with all of our problems, I don't believe you can get the service we provide at the price we charge anywhere else.

We are far from perfect, but most Postal employees do try.

lorbay

I love USPS - it's doing everything right.

In a time of increased crunch, increase service...makes sense!

On the flip side, we have our postal service. Canada post decreases service, raises fees, and then complains that they're losing money...charging over a dollar for a stamp, and stopping door-to-door delivery at a time when email is free is just asking to lose money.

+1 on what Andrew said. I just shipped a small parcel to a buddy just north of me and same province. $20.50 :mad::mad: I love USPS at least you have flat rate shipping. Here they get the stupid tape measure out for every parcel you take in.

Lin.

low_48

Did you ever give your carrier a gift of a few cookies? A Christmas card? Cup of coffee or hot chocolate in the winter? I make the effort to even give the City snow plow guys some cookies. Who knows what kind of day the carrier was having, troubles at home, etc..... Hand them a cup of coffee next time, no matter if they talk to you or not.

mrrichieboy

I guess I'm very lucky...our USPS guy is great, knows I turn and showed me his first pen last month when he was delivering to the house. I work part time at the Boise Woodcraft and he and his wife come in on weekends. He is a good guy and service is great...same with the local counter people at our smaller Post office....good people with personalities. UPS driver is also a great guy. Funny though, I've never even met the FEDEX person....just a doorbell ring and he's gone in a cloud of dust. Sorry you had to meet the rude one, but you can get them anywhere in any business...just the odds in our general population.---Rich

Sabaharr

My carrier is just happy I no longer ship out custom alloy lead ingots. Anything that doesn't fit in the box is by the front door. No ring, just drop off. If they ever fix the muffler on the mail truck I will never know when they pass.

TurtleTom

Must be where you live.
My mail lady waves as she goes by, brings stuff to the door with a smile, even waves to me in town when I'm on my motorcycle, but then I live in rural Oklahoma so far back in the sticks we have to have daylight shipped in.

tomtedesco

Spent an hour and a half standing in line at the post office to mail a package. Only two clerks assisting customers, about 20 people standing in line, then one of the clerks left to do passports. Customer service is not in their dictionary, again why they are losing money to UPS and FEDEX. There were still 25 people in line when I left.

Rick_G

Where we used to live the wife would often offer coffee in the winter or a cold drink in the summer to our carrier. He gave great service. At one point he knew we were waiting for my passport and when it came we were out. He left it even though it needed to be signed for glad he did because if he had taken it back to the P.O. I would not have got it in time for the trip.
Living in a small town now without home delivery and have to pick mail up at the post office. The women working there are great more than once I have gone to mail a parcel and forgot my card that gives me a slightly cheaper rate and they have used theirs and got me the cheaper rate.
Another small town we used to live in we were on the corner of a cull de sack and used to get some really bad snow storms. When the plow went by the wife would wave the coffee pot so the guys would drive the plow up my driveway and have a coffee. Needless to say when I got home I had a clean driveway.
Couriers I'm not to happy with. If you only ship to Canada via courier I won't be buying from you. They hit you with a $30 to $60 service fee for clearing customs. Doesn't happen with USPS and Canada post. The wife recently sent some keys back to my son that he had forgotten in an envelope. Paid and exorbitant fee for next day delivery. He got them 4 days later. If it wasn't for the hour and a half drive each way which my back does not like any more I could have delivered them myself cheaper.

Next time your mail carrier comes by if it a hot day offer something cold to drink, if it's winter a hot chocolate or coffee would likely be appreciated. You will have made a friend and get better service.

Something to consider if your pens are shipped priority mail..... set up an account and your outgoing package will be picked up at your door or mailbox....and the rate is slightly cheaper. Shipping materials (boxes) are free. You do need a printer to print a mailing/shipping label. I'm lazy and do not want to take packages to the post office. I enjoy the convenience of a having a free pick up service.

Sadly, I can't even trust them to make scheduled pickups. Many a carrier has dropped off regular mail and said "I'll be back to pick those up", only to never be seen again.

Skie_M

I'm just happy that my usual USPS delivery goes into my mailbox. Whenever I order stuff and it's delivered UPS Ground, they come up to my door, knock like a little old lady afraid that her arthritis will make her break every bone in her hand, and then dump my $100+ dollar packages BEHIND MY TRASH CAN just off my front porch and leave.

Oh. My. God.

Every single package is prefaced with an email that tells me that SIGNATURE IS REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY.

Top Bottom