USMC PurpleHeart Pen for my Dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So my dad's birthday is coming up so I decided to venture into a new area for me of water-slide decals. Also this is my 3rd pen using the CA finish. Well pen turning is new to me first of all, just started in the beginning of Feb 2013 after getting a lathe and accessories.

My dad did 2 tours in Viet Nam from 1968 thru 1972 and was wounded and received a Purple Heart for his efforts when he was wounded. So I thought that is would be awesome to create a display pen and box to go along with his shadow box that he created for all his medals and from the USMC.

This is my first attempt but it came out nice I believe. It is purple heart wood with a USMC logo decal on the mid section. Instead of putting a center band on the pen I decided to create a look of one with a USMC logo decal.

I am purchasing a case to show the pen off and will be putting a decal with Viet Nam and the dates of each tour on the sides of the case.

So let me know what yall think, I know the decal is hard to see so I might have to change to a lighter wood but I wanted to make a statement of the Purple Heart.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rodnall

I'm sure he will be proud of it. Like has been said before, use a white background to show the pen better.

ironman123

That pen will be treasured by your Father. It represents personal things to him as well as your love and appreciation for his commitment and a great change in our nation.

Your pen is very nice looking in my book.

Ray

gbpens

You've done him proud. You might consider finding a Vietnam campaign ribbon for the box. I recall it was yellow and red.

Neededwill

Thanks all for the support and help. Yes I have the ribbon for the campaign, I will print out a couple types and see what looks best and fits with the look.

t001xa22

If you would PM me, I think I have something that your dad would like to add to his collection. My dad was a proud jarhead from WWII, as well as my brother during the Nam era. I know they would both approve of my idea for your dad. Like they always say: Semper Fi.

Neededwill

Thanks to everyone and I will pass on the thanks to my dad. I have made a couple pens to give to the vets at the VA hospital that I go to since I am a vet also. But with the likes of this one I might do some in a lighter wood and put a USMC or Army decal on them and give them out instead of just the pen as I have. Just wish I had more time to make more pens but that is why its a hobby!

Dick Mahany

Nice job. I'm sure your dad will love this as it is so personal on a number of levels. I like it.

I made a US Navy Veteran pen for my Dad recently, but he's afraid to actually use it and just keeps it in the open flock-lined case to look at. Tell him it was meant to be used:).

Neededwill

Pete, I made the decals myself using water-slide paper and my inkjet printer. It is a pretty simple process. I have made a couple for other pens that I am making, like putting family crest or coat of arms on pens for family. You can check out decalpaper.com and there are tutiorials on youtube also. Allows for a little different approach when doing pens. Also I will be doing one with engraving using sun light, keeps it natural.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Randy: You did it, you made my eyes leak! You are a very thoughtful son. DON'T change a thing! The Purple Heart wood base is significant and the subtle approach with the insignia is very nicely done. Many times, what seems to be hidden draws the most curiosity and attention. And, as with the other members who commented, my wife and I send our THANKS to your father (and you) for your service to this great nation. :star::star: :highfive:

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Great looking pen Randell....If you want the Logo to stand out more on a dark wood try white decal paper. You have to be a bit more exact when cutting it out but it prevents the wood color from showing through..

Top Bottom