Using Two-Part Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
How do all of you epoxy users mix your glue? My method tends to waste a lot. I lay down a bead of resin on a piece of UHMW plastic, then I lay a like-sized bead of hardener alongside it, then I mix the two beads and glue my tubes. I inevitably end up with twice as much left over epoxy as what I used. Any suggestions for avoiding epoxy waste?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I had the same prob and I think next time I'm going to have some extra blanks/brass tubes ready. That way if I make too much I can just put it on an extra one.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I think most of it just comes from experience. Like you I lay down two beads, though I usually lay the second bead on top of the first. Just remember when your laying down the first bead your mixed epoxy will be twice that amount.

As you laying the first bead try to envision how much of the tubes that will cover. When you think you have enough to cover just over half stop and add the second bead.

low_48

You're post got me to thinkin'. I have the same problem sometimes, or other times have run short. I think I will mark off some lines about a 1/4" apart on the side of the mixing surface. Then start keeping track of how many tubes I can get glue per 1/4" of epoxy beads. Sooner or latter I will be able to narrow down the idea that 1/2" will do 4 tubes, etc......

JohnU

I used have lots of left over, but now I usually glue up 5 or more pens at a time so I start small and add if I need to. But like above, sometimes I have extra blanks and tubes ready incase I make more than I need.

rherrell

I mix mine on Post-It notes with a toothpick. Handy and disposable. The amount is always kind of a guessing game that I seem to be getting better at with experience.

sbell111

I use the cap of a plastic 35mm film can to mix small amounts of epoxy on. It is the perfect size and any extra epoxy just pops out once it's dried so I can use the cap over and over. (Like Dale, I stick one gob ontop of the other.)

Rifleman1776

I use the double-barreled syringe style dispensers. A bit more expensive but give economy in use and are both clean to use and handy. I put my parts on a sheet of cheap printer paper and squeeze the glue onto a corner and mix with a toothpick. Later I do my assembling on that same sheet of paper. Helps keep things organized.

Woodchopper

I have the same problem. Just keep mixing less and less, until you get an idea of how much to mix. As has been mentioned, gluing tubes in batches helps some. I'm new at all this so I'm learning as I go. Got a lot of ideas from IAP.

alamocdc

I've been using 2 part epoxies for almost 30 years now. It's an experience thing. Over time you just know how much to put down.;) But I still have some waste on occasion. It comes with the territory.

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

I use the double-barreled syringe style dispensers. A bit more expensive but give economy in use and are both clean to use and handy. I put my parts on a sheet of cheap printer paper and squeeze the glue onto a corner and mix with a toothpick. Later I do my assembling on that same sheet of paper. Helps keep things organized.

Frank -

Are those syringes reusable? I wouldn't mind springing for one pack just to get some epoxy and a syringe if I could reuse the syringe, but I find the cost of that set-up prohibitive for me compared to Mannie's 8 oz. two-part system for $9.18 delivered.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

How do all of you epoxy users mix your glue? My method tends to waste a lot. I lay down a bead of resin on a piece of UHMW plastic, then I lay a like-sized bead of hardener alongside it, then I mix the two beads and glue my tubes. I inevitably end up with twice as much left over epoxy as what I used. Any suggestions for avoiding epoxy waste?

Use less epoxy.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Frank -

Are those syringes reusable? I wouldn't mind springing for one pack just to get some epoxy and a syringe if I could reuse the syringe, but I find the cost of that set-up prohibitive for me compared to Mannie's 8 oz. two-part system for $9.18 delivered.

Nope. Pitch 'em when empty. About $2.00 and I get four or five pens out of one syringe. Maybe more, I don't keep close track.

Rifleman1776

I might have spoke too quick. Truth is, I have never tried to reuse. They do get kinda gunky but might be able to be cleaned up with Acetone and reused. Although, I think filling the tubes without getting a few drops of hardener into the resin side could be problematic.

I might have spoke too quick. Truth is, I have never tried to reuse. They do get kinda gunky but might be able to be cleaned up with Acetone and reused. Although, I think filling the tubes without getting a few drops of hardener into the resin side could be problematic.

I think I'll give it a shot and report back.

jskeen

Rather than try to pour or squeeze the components from the larger containers into the syringe, Try modifying the tip slightly so that you can get a piece of 1/4 in tygon tubing or something similar onto the tip and then suck both components up into the syringe at the same time. will also help eliminate air bubbles.

If it works I'll collect my two cents per usage licensing fee and retire to Hawaii :)

Top Bottom