Using Trademarked decals etc...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

I am not sure if this is the correct forum so forgive my ignorance.

I have seen many folks turn pens with copyrighted/trademarked decals and was wondering the legality of it, especially when it comes to selling the pens. I have a Photo Booth business as one of my side ventures and I know it is definitely not allowed for me to use trademarked or copyrighted images in my photo strips, so was wondering if it was the same for pens and such.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think it's the same for anything. I was going to sell a special order pen with a school decal but, the guy didn't like the pen anyway. I will not take that risk again. :wink:

KenV

Not a Trademark Attorney and did not sleep at Holiday Express.

Depends on the source of the decal -- if you purchased the decal sheet from a licensed source, few problems.

If you are printing them yourself and the password is argg matie, then it depends on if and when you get caught. Getting caught can be very expensive. Some take the risk.

liljohn1368

I have a printing business. Without written permission you can get in big trouble. Most of the time a high school want say anything but college it is different. The cost for me to print Alabama and Mississippi State is 700$ up front and then they get 12% of everything sold. If they go to the championship its an extra 1200$. There's people that do it everyday. When they get caught normally they lose everything. Hope this helps.

its_virgil

Yes..ad nauseam. Some day, someone (I have no one in mind so don't read anything into this post that is not there) will get in a pickle. Many pay the fees and do it right and many others...well, not so much. Just saying.Personally, I don't go there and have lost a few sales...three just this week.
My suggestion would be legal council and not free advice on a forum.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

There have been plenty of discussions on this subject. Here is one of them.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f22/copyright-infringement-96026/

Last edited:

stonepecker

It is just something I would not do. With that said, I have made items out of stone with logos on them. Usually a fan of some team or brand of motorcycle. They are not big sellers for me.
On a pen? I would just walk away from that kind of deal. It just isn't worth getting into trouble over it.
JMHO

Top Bottom