Using supernova chuck to hold mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

A friend has an old HF lathe with only a 3/4" x 10 tpi headstock. He has a supernova chuck that fits it. He wants to turn pens. Can he grip a mandrel rod in the supernova? Would he need pin jaws?

Is there some sort of 60 degree dead center that would clamp in the supernova for TBC?

There is not a screw on mandrel available in this thread size that I can find. Or a jacobs chuck attachment. Or a femal mt2 attachment.

bensoelberg

I have the HF 34706 which I know is a different model than your friends. I also have a Supernova chuck with pin jaws. The pin jaws will not hold a standard mandrel. The gap between the chuck jaws is still larger than the outside diameter of a mandrel. If you've found an insert that works for a Supernova, the same insert would probably work on with a collet chuck that could then hold the mandrel. In all honesty, I think that you are on the right track starting him off TBC. Most (if not all) of the dead centers that I've seen for sale here have a MT2, but I know that some have made their own. I think that would probably be the best option. It looks like the tailstock has a MT2, so you should be able to find a good live center.

Top Bottom