Using a Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Belive it or not I never knew how to use a skew correcty until I ran across an explaination on the net the other day. Well I was in the shop making my lady's momas day gift.(Will Post pics of it later). and decided to give it the old what the H**l. I started while I still had alot of meat on the blanks, didn't want to have to explain why the gift would be even later. the directions seemed all screwy to me but I did what thay said. and lo and behold that thing just sliced a nice neat layer right off the blank. I could get shallow cuts or deep ones. I could practically cut the profile I wanted in just one pass. But i didn't. at any rate I couldn't believe how that tool works. and this was on cocobolo, not the softest wood out there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Daniel --- The more you use it the more you are going to like it. Nothing give you a better cut. I would be lost without the skew. It's my favorite tool for finishing a wood blank!

dubdrvrkev

I had a similar experience the other day. I was making a batch of pens and I could tell my gouge was getting dull but rather than sharpen it I decided to pick up the skew to finish the last set of barrels. Low and behold using it like it was intended really does a good job. I guess I'll have to get some practice with it now.

Dario

Skew is my favorite. It can really help you get close to the finish which mean less sanding. There are lots of times where I would use it to take excess CA off since it gums up sandpaper...works really well.

JimGo

I love the skew, but I don't know that I'm using it "as intended". Daniel, when you get a chance, please post the URL.

Thanks!

Daniel

Sorry Guys really I wasn't trying to keep it to myself.[:I]
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I love my skew... I really do... [:D][:D] it has become my best friend in the whole world.. [:p][:p]
Of course before seeing Alan Lacer's video on using it, it was my worst enemy...
Take a look at Alan's site.. http://www.alanlacer.com/ I highly recommend his video "Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side", he goes into just about everything you need to know about the skew from reshaping it for best performance, sharpening and all kinds of neat cuts... If you get the video pay particular attention to the section on planing cuts.. real important to us pen turners...
I have even developed a couple of tricks that I do that I know are not recommended for the skew, but work for me.. if you grind and sharpen it properly you can use it in a scraping action that take dust cuttings off the blank for final dimensioning, when done I rarely if ever need to use less than 400 grit paper to start my sanding...

I love Skews, I have 7. I even use the "wings" of my roughing gouge as a skew. I call it my "Double Barreled Skew"

Ditto on Alan Lacer and his videos. Alan Lacer is the Master when it comes to skews.

For planing: I sharpen the bevel about twice as long as it is thick.
For scraping: I sharpen the bevel about as long as it is thick.

RLKnecht

Daniel,
I have used that site for reference from before my first day turning. I read it cover to cover ( uh.. you know what I mean) before ever using my shopsmith as a lathe. When my son (14 at the time) wanted to try the lathe so he could make a pen, I handed him a printout of the site and said read this first. I let him skip the fluff on selecting tools and sharpening chap 1-5. His first cut was on a 2x2 and he only had 1 catch before he had it down to a 3/4 dowel with beads and coves. Took him almost half an hour to do it, but speed was not the goal. That site is a great reference.
There is another site that has short video clips showing how to turn beads and coves, and the use of the parting tool, etc. Problem is I can't find it now. I'll have to look some more.
Rick

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Sorry Guys really I wasn't trying to keep it to myself.[:I]
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

J. Fred Muggs

If you're going to be serious about the skew (IMHO you should be if you're going to be serious about turning), <b>The Alan Lacer video Griz mentioned is a must see!</b> I've been teaching turning and insist on my students seeing this video before we do the skew.

Lacer mentions the use of a "dead center" for turning with the skew. Obviously not for pen turning, but for any other spindle work. This "dead Center" is simply an old non-ball bearing cup type tailstock center. They are available at Sears for $7.99 regular price. Put it in your head stock instead of a spur center. Friction alone turns the piece. If you get a catch, and you will, the dead center slips and does a whole lot less damage to the work piece, and more importantly, less damage to your nerves. If you're doing spindle work other than pens, try one of these. You won't regret it!!.[:)][:)][:)]

alamocdc

Okay, it looks like I have some boning up to do. I've been reading "Hand or Simple Turning Principles and Practice" by John Jacob Holtzapffel, but haven't gotten to the skew yet. I've been using mine, but probably not correctly. Thanks, Daniel, I'll check this out! I'm always eager to learn.

RPM

You brought up another point that got hidden by the subject of the skew and its one that I make a point to keep in mind. After I rough a blank, I try to make a point every so often to just practice some of the basics while there is still "meat" on the blank. I have found this practice to allow me to improve my skills at a rate higher than if I'm only doing the real deal.

Just my $0.02
Richard

atvrules1

Daniel, glad you finely were able to learn how to use it. At first it was not my favorite tool, but as I learned how to take a cut with it instead of a scrape, it quickly became my "Ole faithful." Stick with it and you will soon start to depend on it more and more.

alamocdc

WOW! I read through the site yesterday and had to try it out. Being the adventurous soul that I am, I went straight to work on two pieces of Ipe (Brazilian Ironwood) that I got from Ryan a few weeks ago. I used only my 5/8" skew accept on the cove by the nib and I was VERY impressed! This is amazing, Daniel, thanks for pointing this out!!![:D] I think I have a new favorite tool.[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom