Using Holly for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dasimm

I have been asked to submit a couple of Rollerball pens to a Church fundraiser to which I agreed to do. The theme will be all wooden pieces with a couple of crosses and pens.

I was thinking I could use holly in the pens since it is such a pure white wood and would be very symbolic in this case. I have used it in my segmented pieces before with no problems, but what concerns me is the softness of the wood.

Has anyone used Holly as the primary wood in a pen before and if so is there anything I should be concerned with (splitting, too soft, marring, etc...)?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

be very careful when sanding (preferably take the blanks off the bushings for sanding). The holly I have used has been very porous and will grab any dirt/filings/stains and not let go. CA finish takes care of the soft part!
Jon

I have, the only thing I have ever had trouble with is the sanding portion. I must admit I need more help in that department. What I mean is the pen doesn't always come out pure white. I do not know if it picks up dust or what, but sometinmes turns off white or even grey
john

dasimm

Thanks guys - I was already with ya on the sanding - pulled them off the lathe and slid them on a dowel and sanded by hand.

I'm also working on some bushings made from the high molecular density plastic for sanding and finishing but they are not ready for prime time just yet.

With my new wolverine sharpening system I was able to start with 400 grit this time :biggrin:

Last edited:

dasimm

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51195

there are a couple pics of one I did with bloodwood segmented. Sanded with 120, 220, 400. Then 1 quick coat thin ca. Followed up with 3 coats med ca. It turned out perfectly white with no staining. Maybe I got lucky with the blank I had.

Chief - that was a pretty nice piece of work. I hope to inlay a simple cross from bloodwood into the holly - so we shall see how it works. I hope I have as much luck as you did with yours.

dasimm

One of the best sellers for church events for me is BOW. Won't have the issues you will with Holly. Just an alternative.

I will have BOW as well. I'm just hoping the Holly pens will be the "wow" factor to bring people to the booth (fingers crossed - pun intended). :rolleyes:

hebertjo

Don't sand the holly until you have put a layer of thin CA on it. Use a skew to get it to thr final dimension with very light scraper type passes. Then stop the lathe and blow/vac/or tack cloth off any dust then apply some thin CA. If you have other woods in the desgn avoid them until all of the holly has had a layer of CA. This locks in that nice white color and then you can sand but do not sand too heavy or you will et back down to the wood.

Hope that helps,

I really don't do anything special with holly except what Goodturns said. Take it off the bushings and sand between centers. You can mix other woods with holly as long as you keep everything dry when sanding..

Attachments

• B3D8E652-A2D5-4C3F-B488-F772E6260B23.jpeg
    B3D8E652-A2D5-4C3F-B488-F772E6260B23.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 52
I really don't do anything special with holly except what Goodturns said. Take it off the bushings and sand between centers. You can mix other woods with holly as long as you keep everything dry when sanding..
Btw there was no CA used on this pen except for the segmenting. I don't CA finish anymore..

jttheclockman

Btw there was no CA used on this pen except for the segmenting. I don't CA finish anymore..
Man I know you are trying to catch up on some older threads but that one is from 2009. You made me look because I was going to reply myself. Most these people are not even here any more. Jon pops in now and then. :):):)

Top Bottom