Using Calipers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

I have looked over this forum and couldnt find an answer for this, so i am asking here...

Ive started using calipers for making my pens and was curious what you use as a reference point. Do you measure the pen parts to get the exact diameter you need or do measure the bushing? I dont know and was curious.

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We measure the pen parts then turn the blank to match the pen parts. the bushing are nothing more than a generalized guide to us.

Mike

markgum

Hi Keven;
I measure the center band of the pen for slimlines; and then set the calipers to zero and go from there. It makes it easier to tell how much to turn down yet. I'm sure as I use other pen kits, I may have to measure more than one spot. I don't trust my bushings as they are sanded every now and then and sometimes hit with a gouge or skew.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One consideration in this is the thickness of the finish you wish to achieve. I (and I think most others do also) measure the individual parts (nib, centerband and clip end), write the numbers down, then turn and sand down about .005 - .008 smaller than the nib, CB and clip end size - to allow for the thickness of the finish itself.

Firefyter-emt

Me, I zero the calipers and then measure each part of the hardware. I then write these down on a post it note and stick it at the lathe. I lable the note with nib, centerband ect.. and then place the size next to it.

I do not see the idea of setting the calipers to once end and turn to that end. Most pens have two ends and many are not the same size. Even a slimline can have a diffrent center band compared to the nib. ;)

Oh, and btw, never measure the bushings alone... I have found them to be a joke at times. If the bushing does not fit the pen, why bother making the pen fit it??

randyrls

Originally posted by wizical

I have looked over this forum and couldnt find an answer for this, so i am asking here...

Ive started using calipers for making my pens and was curious what you use as a reference point. Do you measure the pen parts to get the exact diameter you need or do measure the bushing? I dont know and was curious.

Thank you

If you have digital calipers, set the calipers to the fitting size and press the zero button. Now when you measure the tube, you will see exactly how much you need to remove. HF has 4" digital calipers on sale for $15.00 on a regular basis. A set of two for each end of the tube will allow you to set to both ends of the tube.

I have 4 or 6 of these.

DSallee

I just started using calipers to measure since my oops pen and it worked GREAT!! I do as the rest have suggested, measure the pen part, zero it, then turn the blank down to zero and it's a perfect fit!

Dave

Top Bottom