Using CA to Increase Plating Durability

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

My recent post regarding the CB on a Havana ( http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11330 ) has gotten me thinking about the durability of the platings again. Has anyone tried coating some of the high-wear components, like the caps on a Jr. Gent, with CA? Just like with CA on the pens, I would think we could smooth it out without too much effort. Might be a dumb question, but thought it was worth a try. I have a bunch of 10K Jr Gents that I bought before deciding to upgrade to Ti from now on, and I feel kind of guilty about selling them!

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ryan

Jim,

If you feel so guilty about selling them you could just give them to me.[:D]
Sorry I could not resist. You set yourself up for that one.

Ryan

Easysport

Don't know how the CA coating would work, but I'm sure there's some members that would be interested in the kits for a good price. Maybe me. I've been thinking of trying the kit, but like you not sure how the plating will hold up.[8D]

JimGo

LOL..thanks guys! I was disappointed with the durability. Oddly enough, it is only the finial that didn't hold up; the clip still looks decent, even though the finial plating has worn through. It's my daily-driver, and it took about two months for the plating to wear off, but now it just looks "okay", rather than the phenominal that I was going for.

Thumbs

I don't see how you can smooth CA out on that piece w/o sanding. I tried that with a bit of glue on a black chrome cigar which should be a much more durable plating and absolutely ruined it in short order. I think Fangar was doing the clear coat powder coat painting process on cartridge pens with great success. If these will stand the heat, I think I'd try that. [:)]

Looks like you'd have good luck selling them though, me included![:p]

Tea Clipper

You could return them to CSU for refund/credit and clear your conscience. From CSU's website:

"Buy with confidence with our No Risk Satisfaction Guarantee. This means that if you’re not satisfied with any pen for any reason, you can return it for an exchange or full refund."

I wouldn't waste my time trying to coat them, but that's just me. [;)]

Edit: I wouldn't waste time with a CA coat, powder coating would be okay...

JimGo

Thanks for pointing that out Ron! Billy, my wife would kill me if I came in with a PC kit! A few more pen sales, and maybe I can convince her that I didn't buy it, it was "the company"! [:D]

Draken

Actually, a small power coat system would only set you back $129 plus S/H and some type of oven to heat the parts. The website even says you could use a toaster oven for smaller parts. Link:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5572&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=10198
and for the record, I am not a current or past customer of this company, just came across this link during my research of various things.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom