Using a buffer for CA finish? Possiblities?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Im interested in getting a buffing system for my pens, as MMing up to 12000 and then polishing by hand is just to long winded!

Will a buffing system work on wood with a CA/BLO finish, or is it only suited to acrylics?

Also how would it compare to a normal 12000mm - hut - ren wax finish? i.e clarity and gloss?

Cheers PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I use a simple and cheap arbor I bought at Lowe's to hold my buffing wheel. I use it on everything; wood finished with CA or lacquer as well as synthetics and it does an outstanding job. I use MM to 12000 but I could probably stop at 8000 and then buff. You will still need to use MM so if you think a buffing wheel will eliminate that step in finishing, you'll be disappointed. There is no such thing as a fast and easy finish, they all take time.

philb

Ok sounds fair enough! Although i do think that i will produce a better finish than a plastic polish applied by hand!

Do you use the arbor to attach a single wheel or 3 like the Beall?

Do you still sand to 12000MM for acrylics to? As i saw a guide posted for cigar pens production where he stopped a 600grit and then buffed?

Cheers PHIL

rlharding

Phil, I sand wood to 600 and then do tripoli, white diamond and furniture wax buffing. I attach the buffing pads individually on the lathe. Unless I have missed something, the only thing that distinguishes the Beall system from anything else is that they put the three budding pads together on a threaded rod. IMHO if you buff anything bigger than your hand you don't want three buffers in a line because you can't access the pads when buffing large items.

For acrylic I do three grits: 320, 500, 600. Then I buff as above, no changes.

Works for me.

ahoiberg

phil, my system is similar to gerry's, but i maintain 3 wheels that can each be chucked with a jacobs chuck in the lathe or drill press. the wheels work fantastic on a CA finish and will leave a hi gloss finish if you desire that. i usually MM to 12000 just because i can, buff with white diamond, buff with fabulusture (a jeweler's polish) and then use plastic polish (applied on the lathe). basically the same method for CA and acrylics, except the acrylic goes way faster cause you don't have to worry about smoothing your CA coats first... :)

Ligget

The only time I use a buffer is a final step on ca finish, once I have finished working up to 12000 MM. I use my clean wheel to buff up a coat of Ren Wax that I have put onto the finished blank.[8D]

Sanding should only take a few minutes, its a great time for inspecting and admiring your nearly finished work.[^]

rherrell

I sand ca to 600 and then buff. I used to MM to 12000 and then buff but honestly, I can't see any difference. Try two identical pieces and see for yourself. I also recommend getting some magnifying goggles for inspecting the pieces as you progress. It helps me tremendously.

philb

Ok thanks guys!

Ive managed to find someone who sells the tripoli and White diamond in the UK. Just gotta find the wheels as the Beall ones seem expensive!

Although trying to figure out what wheels are required for the tripoli and white diamond is a nightmare, as there about 15 different ones online!

Does any add plastic polish to there CA blanks before they do tripoli etc, or is this counter-productive?

Cheers for the help

Top Bottom