Using brass shavings on your pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I have read on here and elsewhere about using brass shavings on a pen blank but I do not recall ever seeing a photo of one.
So...please show me your pen with brass shavings in it. I assume that it is only used in castings?????

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I've done them with brass, aluminum, and copper. I don't have any of the pics on our new computer though.

DozerMite

Banned
Here is one with alum. in it.

zw.jpg

okiebugg

Brass

I have used brass for many years as a medium for filling voids and cracks usually glued in place with thick CA. I occasionally use 5 minute epoxy. I also use it in very small pieces for inlay when A bowl or even a pen develops a crack. When finished, I still see the crack filled with brass or Turquoise or both as a crack. My customers see it as fine woodturning.

The brass is cut into small pieces with a small saw with a diamond blade or a carbide blade installed on my scroll saw. Like I said small pieces. When I have cut enough brass to make things worthwhile, I will take part of it and put it into a coffee grinder to turn some of it to small pieces, and some to dust.

The problem is the brass is harder that most any wood that you're going to work with, so you must learn to work smart and level it with a Dremel or small rotary tool. I like Ryobi.

Gently sand the pen on using your lathe and using sandpaper with a small block behind it. Keep working the wood and the brass until you have a symmetrical pen blank and put it together.

jskeen

Got a big handful of this brass from behind the key duplicator at the local hardware store. Worked pretty well packed into the voids and soaked in thin ca.

The rest of the blank is gator jawbone. :)

Attachments

• gator1.jpg
    gator1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • gator2.jpg
    gator2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 578

okiebugg

brass

Got a big handful of this brass from behind the key duplicator at the local hardware store. Worked pretty well packed into the voids and soaked in thin ca.

The key brass is an alloy that is easier to use, but not nearly as pretty as real brass. I have used both. Key brass can be ground finer by using a coffee grinder.

I like the real brass better, as it is more gold in color. can be ground finer rather the stringy material I see. Congrats, I see that you worked the inlay properly.

jttheclockman

The key brass is an alloy that is easier to use, but not nearly as pretty as real brass. I have used both. Key brass can be ground finer by using a coffee grinder.

I like the real brass better, as it is more gold in color. can be ground finer rather the stringy material I see. Congrats, I see that you worked the inlay properly.

Okie

Have you found a way to grind real brass. I have looking to try something but can not come up with a way to grind to a fine fill.

jttheclockman

Have you found a way to grind real brass. I have looking to try something but can not come up with a way to grind to a fine fill.

How much do you need? I can get the shavings and the dust.

Thanks. I was just looking for a way of doing this on my own if someone had a system they would like to share. The key fillings I can get all I want but to use the better brass would be cool and also combine it with aluminum too.

okiebugg

Okie

I should be awarded some of that Gator jawbone from JSKEEN for givin up trade secrets LOL

Nothing works well for making dust...you can make it, you just can't collect it. I have an VS electric drill mounted under an old router type table. I drill a hole thru the center of the area where the router bit comes through. In this case, a cylindrical sanding bit goes through the hole. Attach it to the drill, Turn the drill on and voila, you can make and collect the dust.

Any other brass made for inlay is cut into small pieces suitable for inlay and run thru a few cycles in an old Black & Decker coffee grinder about 3in. in diameter and 6 in. tall. Costs about $10.00 at a garage sale. A few cycles thru that, and you have multiple sizes that are good for inlay

Last edited:

DozerMite

Banned

How much do you need? I can get the shavings and the dust.

Thanks. I was just looking for a way of doing this on my own if someone had a system they would like to share. The key fillings I can get all I want but to use the better brass would be cool and also combine it with aluminum too.

The brass I get, is not from keys. It's much better, solid brass. I can find out the alloy next week.

Top Bottom