Using aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I see people using copper and aluminum in pens how does it work, how hard is it on tools and where does one go to find info on it. I'm having a slight creative block and need to try something different.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

You should give the "Advanced penmaking forum" a good read . I get my metals from www.speedymetals.com . Their prices are good and the have quick delivery . I find that 6061 Aluminum and 360 Brass work quite easily and can be worked with regular turning tools , you just have to sharpen more often . Just keep the toolrest tight to the work and use a lower speed while turning , I use 1100 rpms but thats because I'm too lazy to change the belt position on my lathe , I think around 800 rpms is better .

Last edited:

Chief Hill

I have done s few with segmenting in aluminum from pop cans. Glued with epoxy 5 min. Why buy it if I can recycle it eh.
It turns out great with the darker woods. But carefull with the patterns. Mine did not match up 100% due to me using a scroll saw and not a band saw.

DurocShark

As Butch said, it's easy to work, but a bit harder on tools. You just have to sharpen more often.

A scraper or roughing gouge used as a scraper is a great first tool for solid aluminum. But I use a skew at least as much now.

Two things I recommend:

1. Clean up the shavings from your wood and plastics before turning metals. The shavings from the metals will get buried and may give you a little surprise when you scoop up the pile under your lathe. (DAMHIKT)
2. DO NOT touch the spinning blank with your bare hands. Metal is MUCH sharper than wood or resin.

ldb2000

You can also get copper and aluminum flashing from home depot or lowes , or aluminum and brass sheet from your local hobby shop .
If you are trying to cut patterns like a celtic knot make sure that you use a material with the same thickness as the blade you use to make the cut in your blank .

I have done s few with segmenting in aluminum from pop cans. Glued with epoxy 5 min. Why buy it if I can recycle it eh.
It turns out great with the darker woods. But carefull with the patterns. Mine did not match up 100% due to me using a scroll saw and not a band saw.

The reason your patterns don't line up is not because of the saw you used but because the blade you used cut a kerf wider then the material you were using to segment . To get the patterns to match you have to cut a kerf the SAME thickness as your segmenting material , if you use a saw blade with a .010" kerf then you have to use aluminum or brass or copper that is also .010" thick . A band saw blade cuts a much larger kerf and will cause your patterns to be much further off .

Last edited:

broitblat

Christopher,

I bought a roll of aluminum flashing from Lowe's that's probably more than I'll use in a lifetime. Since you're local (to me), I'd be happy to share some with you.

-Barry

Top Bottom