Use of Linden wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

Has anyone used Linden wood in their turnings, and what does its characteristics look like when finished? There are 2 large witness Lindens from the Civil War in the near future being removed from in front of a church in Gettysburg. Am wondering if they are worth the effort to use for pens, or other turnings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

Another name for Linden is Boxwood. Used a lot for carving. Known for its consistent grain which adapts well to carving. I for one don't think it has enough character to make a pen with. But it might be worth a try.

1080Wayne

Linden is basswood , not boxwood . As with any typically plain wood , there are always exceptions to that plainness . Take a look at # 13 in this link http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48674 . It is basswood burl . If you have the opportunity to get wood with some historical significance , take it . It may not have burls , but it will have crotches which should have some figure . You might find some curl on the underside of a large curving branch . There may be some spalt or insect damage where a dead branch is still attached . Lots of possibilities for interesting wood . Should be some local market for it (you can show a photo of the tree it came from ) and possibly a national market as well because of the Gettysberg name . And why are they removing the trees ? If diseased , your chance of interesting wood goes way up . If for other reasons , the story of why will enhance marketability .

bobskio2003

I, for one, have some close friends that are Civil Wars nuts (er, I mean buffs) that I'm sure would love to have a pen made from a tree that witnessed the Battles of Gettyburg. One of them is also a spirit hunter so who knows what she might find in a piece of wood. If you get you hands on some (especially like any of the prime spot that Wayne mentioned) I'd be interested in getting some. Bob I.

What they said as well as having it engraved with the site and significance would make a plain piece of wood more intersting. You could also stain it different colors, perhaps civil war colors. You could have ken Nelson dye and laser cut a flag pattern...many options.

MDWine

Basswood/Linden

I think (just me, that is) that it would be too soft for a pen.
The wood will dent easily.

I would NOT mind, however, getting a piece or two. A carving of a civil war soldier out of that wood would be fantastic! (especially if it can be documented!)

Scotty

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting some to carve if possible. Just got back from Gettysburg last week. My first time there, and I really enjoyed it.

bkersten

Scott, I hope you were here more than a weekend, or you just wet your appeite for more. Far too much to see in a few days. I'm waiting to hear from the guy heading up the removal operation. Bob

fernhills

If it is basswood, it is not a soft wood. it is an excellent carving wood. I carved a duck decoy with it one time. I took a wood duck decoy class at our community college a while back and that was my project for a 8 week course. The other sought after wood in the carving world is tupelo. A nice 6 x 4 x 24" L will probably sell for 40 bucks or more on ebay. Do a search in ebay to find out its value. I use it a lot in constructing laminate pens, it is very stable and not splintery and offers a nice contrasts next to darker woods. Carl

JerrySambrook

Linden crotches can have some very unique patterns. Also, if you want some straight colored dyed pens, this is also a very consistant wood to work with.
Try using some branch wood down near the joint, and you might get some real nice grain and even some color suprises.

Left in the sun, and too much air, though causes it to turn a real ugly yellow, and yellow is my favorite color

If you are able to get some larger chunks of this wood, it is a highly prized wood for carvers. It is worth some money. The carvers typically do not want any wood with some indication of figure ini it though, because then it looses its carvability consistancy in those areas.

It has no real value as firewood though, because it burns way too fast.
A guy the next town up from me used some, and complained that he kept warmer by his actions stoking the stove than by the actual heat put out by the stove (what a waste of wood and money)

Jerry

Last edited:

Scotty

Yeah Bob it was just for a weekend, but I have plans to go back now. Couple of other civil war sites I want to visit too. Remember me if you get some of that wood.

Crayman

I have some Linden tree, from a friend, I split some for the wood pile, it did not like to be split very strong stringy grain. I also have a few piece drying in the shed and a few more laying in the compost pile (hoping for some splating). If you want some I could cut up some blank for you.

Last edited:

bkersten

Linden wood update

I talked to the man incharge of the tree removal today. He told me that the church is going to retain all of what they cut down, and then decide what to do with it. He to is a woodworker/more on the cabinetry side, and that the congregation will have first dibs on it for any ideas they have to make things, the children in doing crafts/crosses, the Gettysburg foundation may be in there as well, and then we others. He wasn't sure how much would be there or left, but I'll try and get some. This all will go on late this month and into Sept. I'll be back with word. Bob

Top Bottom