Upscale Fountain Pen and matching pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

A customer has asked me to make a fountain pen and a matching .5mm or .7mm pencil.

He liked the looks of the Marksman FP but Constant tells me Marksman pencils are not in the near future.

I have spent several hours looking at supplier websites and not having any luck.

And don't get me started on my experiences on suppliers websites. When you type pencils in the search bar and get 272 results you know there is going to be no help there.:curse:

Anybody have any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmmm

A customer has asked me to make a fountain pen and a matching .5mm or .7mm pencil.

He liked the looks of the Marksman FP but Constant tells me Marksman pencils are not in the near future.

I have spent several hours looking at supplier websites and not having any luck.

And don't get me started on my experiences on suppliers websites. When you type pencils in the search bar and get 272 results you know there is going to be no help there.:curse:

Anybody have any suggestions?

Good Luck, I don't know of any of the high end kits that have matching pencils.

glycerine

Sounds like an odd request to me. Best I could suggest is do a jr. gent fountain pen and then do a jr. gent ballpoint with a pencil mech instead of the ink refill.
Fountain pens have caps (obviously) whereas pencils are usually a capless twist style, so it would be hard to find a "matching" set. Usually in a matching pen and pencil set, the pen is a ballpoint...

more questions no answers for you

Does it have to be an exact match in style or can the plating finish and exterior material match only and still make them happy? How much room has the customer given you to make a decision?. The other option might be a custom adaptation, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Other more experienced pen makers may have some suppliers in mind, but I have no ideas for you except kit mismatches.

G1Pens

Penn State has a Big Ben Fountain pen and "matching" pencil. As already noted the FP will have a cap vs the pencil will not, but the style and look is the same.

its_virgil

Craft Supplies jr gent fountain pen matched with the jr gent ballpoint which can also take a pencil mechanism.
ballpoint/pencil: Jr Gentlemen's Ballpoint Pen Kit - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.=
fountain pen: Jr Gentlemens II Fountain Pen Kit - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.=
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I hadn't seen these put together in a set yet. Very interesting!

I'm glad I got involved in this thread. It was very informative! Gonna keep watching this to see if anyone else has a good idea.

Last edited:
Several weeks ago I asked here for 3 pen set kits... Fountain, ball and pencil. I was directed to the Ameroclassic line by Hut Products. Order was placed on Dec 1st. Unfortunately my experience with Hut has been anything but pleasant. I got, and still have, my Ameroclassic, Camelot Art Deco and Camelot Greek Key sets incomplete. :mad::crying:

Last edited:

GoatRider

A PSI Noveau Sceptre FP and the BP with a pencil conversion.

Pencil conversion? I just looked and didn't see a conversion. I am very interested in what you are talking about. If there is a FP and pencil set possible I am interested!

Schmidt makes a pencil mechanism that can replace the "parker style" ballpoint refills...

I've been using those mechanisms to convert the 8mm Euro style double-twist pens to pencils. You have to drill out the plastic insert in the transmission with a 7/64 bit, and also drill into the back of the nib so the tip of the pencil sticks out the right amount. I like them a lot better than the .7mm twist-style 8mm pencil mechanism in Euro or Ameroclassic styles.

philb

On any of the Jr.Gent Balppoint or fountains I have had from CSUSA they are not a direct swap. Only as I asked this question before,

Hi,

The Ballpoint version is not a staright swap over for the Schmidt pencil Mechanism, I know the write-up reads like that!

The Centre Coupler and the End-Cap are different? Thanks for looking though, Ill search for the article you mention PENMAN

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...ens_pencil.pdf
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...mens_twist.pdf

Top Bottom