UPS Flat rate shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fhinde

I received the following message on another group concerning a new flat rate shipping charge by UPS. I think this would be great for some of the larger orders of blanks and kits.

Have any of you checked out the NEW USPS Priority Mail Flat
Rate "Boxes" now offered. If you are not shipping something that is
very large but is yet heavy, this might be for you.
Boxes
Here is the info directly from the USPS web page.

• The Priority Mail Flat Rate Box is $7.70 for any U.S. destination
and any weight up to a 70 lb. maximum.
• The inside dimensions for the two boxes available are 11" x 8.5" x
5.5" and 13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375".
• The contents of the flat rate box must be neatly contained inside
of the box with adhesive packaging tape.
• The box must close securely and retain its shape when taped with
adhesive.
• The shape of the box may not be changed or enlarged to fit its
contents.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Try and find them now. I am glad I snatch up a dozen when they first came out. Our PO has been out of them since the 3rd day.

Fred in NC

Thank you, Fred. What I wonder is if they did away with the small boxes (VHS size) that can be sent for $3.85. That is a good rate for small parts. The envelope is good too, but the little box gives more protection. Also good for a few blanks.

dmadis

You can order any USPO supplies you need free from the post office store.

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/home.jsp?appName=SSOL

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productCategory.jsp?cat=Personal+Use&prodCat=/Shipping+Supplies/Personal+Use/2.+Priority+Mail

They deliver the stuff free also. It's a better way than finding the supplies at your local PO where the selection is limited.

Darrell

wayneis

Now that store a really good tip and should be moved to the tip section maybe. Whenever I have went to our local post office they limit everyone to two per customer on boxs and envelopes, even labels. What a pain in the ole kester.

Wayne

BogBean

Wayne,
I am sure if you talked to the Postmaster he/she would give you all you need...Chuck

wayneis

Chuck, not so, heck they would not even give me a small piece of tape to tape a box closed once and another time they had a whole stack of newspaper setting behind the counter and a Lady asked for a little paper for a package of hers that was a little loose and had something sliding around. They told me that I could buy a roll of packing tape and the Lady was told that they would gladly sell her some bubble wrap or that pop corn stuff or whatever it was that they had for sale. Maybe all Post Offices are not created equal. My Brother-Inlaw is head Post Master or some important something or other I could talk to him I guess but when you live in such a small town sometimes it does not pay to make to much of something. It's kind like pick your battles carefully, that knid of thing.

Wayne

BogBean

Wayne,
I am a retired Postmaster. I did not run my office the way yours is being ran. I would do business with another office if one is close. The window clerk is only doing what he/she is told to do. Ask to see the Postmaster and tell him/her your needs. As far as the newspapers for packing, that would not be allowed to give out because someone paid postage on that stack of newspapers it considered US Mail so it is covered under the same rules as third class mail. Most Postmaster's will do what it takes to keep happy.....Chuck

BogBean

oops...Left a word out...
Most Postmasters will do what it takes to keep YOU happy...Chuck

btboone

Fred, Yes, Priority Mail still has the boxes around 2" x 5.5" x 8.5" for $3.85. I think the rule is, you can ship up to 2 pounds without additional postage, but if it's over 1 pound, it needs to be hand delivered to a carrier or clerk at the post office. I ship a lot of rings, which are pretty lightweight that way.

Randy_

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Fred, Yes, Priority Mail still has the boxes around 2" x 5.5" x 8.5" for $3.85. I think the rule is, you can ship up to 2 pounds without additional postage, but if it's over 1 pound, it needs to be hand delivered to a carrier or clerk at the post office.....

I just took a look at the USPS web site to check out Priority rates. Bruce is close; but not quite 100%. You can send "not over" 1 lb. to anyplace in the country for $3.85.....box size is not a factor unless it is excessively large. For a package over 1 lb. you are charged a priority rate based on the weight of the package and how far it is going.....that postage must be determined by a postal employee. So, for anything over a pound you are better off putting it in a flat rate envelope, if it will fit. Over at Saw Mill Creek, they fill up one of those little boxes with Corian scraps for the Freedom Pen Project and then stick the box into one of those envelopes!!!

Daniel

Hello folks,
this subject I am a bit of an expert on doing the whole CA Bulk Buy I can weigh a package and almost emmediately tell you the best way to send it. this is by pennies mind you.
there are two types of priority mail boxes and envelopes. all are free and can be ordered on line at the postal store at usps.com
you can also get labels, packing tape (for priority mail use only).
the two types are Priority which you will pay by the pound for.
the other is FLat Rate Priority wich has a set mailing cost regardless of weight.
the flat rate envelope costs $3.85
the NEW Flat rate boxes (there are two sizes) are $7.70
there are Priority boxes that match the sizes of the flat rate boxes.
Why would you care??? because depending on the actual weight it may be cheaper to mail it Priority rather than pay the flat rate fee.
any package that is more than 2 lbs. but less than 3 lbs will mail the cheapest in a priority box. anything over 3 lbs is cheaper going into a flat rate box.
as for the little video mailers.
there are two sizes of them. and I can tell you how to mail anything in them for the $3.85 flat rate fee. stuff them in a flat rate envelope.
both sizes of video mailers will fit in the flat rate envelope.
there is one rule about the envelope you should be awaire of. as far as taping it up they only allow one piece of tape across where the flap seals down.
I stick pretty much to the larger video box for the Bulk Buy but recently descovered I can fit 30- 3/4 square 6" blanks in one of them. put that in the flat rate envelope and mail the whole thing for $3.85
I was being charged as much as $11.00 for shipping on the same blanks form the people I bought them from.
as far as the big flat rate boxes, I think any amount of blanks you could want to buy could fit in them. say up to 100 or so. these are a great deal.
if you order your boxes on line expect a couple of weeks wait to receive them. otherwise they should be provided by your post office. If I ask for more than a half dozen my post offices around here will mention ordering them online. but I have never been refused the boxes. the clerk will tape up my boxes if I didn't get it done to there likeing. etc.
I for one have been very happy with U.S.P.S. and that is after mailing hundreds of these things.
Oh anything that weighs less than 13 oz. is cheaper to mail first class adn it still get s there in good time.
then to top of the fact they will provide all the shipping supplies. you can print your own postage label on line, and then schedule for them to come pick it all up at no charge.

Randy_

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />..... because depending on the actual weight it may be cheaper to mail it Priority rather than pay the flat rate fee.
any package that is more than 2 lbs. but less than 3 lbs will mail the cheapest in a priority box. anything over 3 lbs is cheaper going into a flat rate box......
Daniel has it pretty much correct except for the above. You can actually send as much as 7 lbs. 11 oz. for less($7.35) than the flat rate fee($7.70) if you are only shipping across three zones. Here is the Priority Rate Chart from the USPS web site so you can see for yourself what the most economical rate is. Note: There is a little zone calculator on the USPS site where you plug in the sending and receiving zip code and it will give you the zone figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom