Upgrading tthe handwheel (tailstock]- Delta Midi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I drill almost 100% of my blanks using the lathe and a jaw chuck. My Delta midi had the most pathetic handwheel, I think it's a 3" diameter.

I am thinking of replacing it with an 8" wheel. Anyone else do anything like that? Was it worth it?

---OR-----

Does anyone know of a way to modify the ram so that it travels like the quill on a drill press rather than a hand crank (ie, a lever-action instead of a wheel and screw)?

Randy_

After taking a close look at the handwheel on my JET, I can think of a number things you could try to enhance the utility of your lathe. It might help to post a picture of the Delta handweeel as it may be somewhat different from the JET.

As to the question about modifying the ram, of course, anything is possible; but I think it would be impractical from an economic point of view unless you had access to a well stocked machine shop and were skilled enough to do the work yourself.

stevers

I agree, the handwheel on the Jet mini is sort of small. Would be nice to have a little larger one. Don't know about getting into the ram. Lot of work for little result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom