Upgraded Transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickLong

Does any one have a source for cigar transmissions? I am looking for single twist (not the double twist) transmissions. Several customers have requested a single twist transmission because they sometimes turn to far and the ballpoint comes out.

Upgraded transmissions for cigars and polaris kits. Beside looking for single action transmissions, anyone have a source for premium transmissions (not the stock transmissions you get with cigar kits). Something that is a little smoother. There is an obvious difference from a Waterman and/or Mont transmissions.The cigar kits have decent transmissions (double twist) but definitely not as nice as a premium pen's transmission.

Thanks,

Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does any one have a source for cigar transmissions? I am looking for single twist (not the double twist) transmissions. Several customers have requested a single twist transmission because they sometimes turn to far and the ballpoint comes out.

Upgraded transmissions for cigars and polaris kits. Beside looking for single action transmissions, anyone have a source for premium transmissions (not the stock transmissions you get with cigar kits). Something that is a little smoother. There is an obvious difference from a Waterman and/or Mont transmissions.The cigar kits have decent transmissions (double twist) but definitely not as nice as a premium pen's transmission.

Thanks,

Rick
That's why you pay <$5.00 for a cigar kit and $50 and up for those pens.

I personally don't know anyone who is specifically selling "upgrade" transmissions, or even a source where I could buy them if I wanted to.

RickLong

Thanks,

Rick

I personally don't know anyone who is specifically selling "upgrade" transmissions, or even a source where I could buy them if I wanted to.

Thanks Smitty37.... I don't mind spending some extra coin on nicer transmissions.. Yes, I know that is why cigar kits are only $3.50/each.

Rick

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Smitty37.... I don't mind spending some extra coin on nicer transmissions.. Yes, I know that is why cigar kits are only $3.50/each.

Rick
One other problem I thought of. I have Slimline transmissions bought from a Chinese Source and I have some bought directly from a Taiwan Supplier. Neither has any distinguishing markings.

So even if you find a supplier saying they're selling a better grade of transmission it might be impossible to tell without destroying the part.

Something to keep in mind.

RickLong

Thanks,

Rick

Rick
One other problem I thought of. I have Slimline transmissions bought from a Chinese Source and I have some bought directly from a Taiwan Supplier. Neither has any distinguishing markings.

So even if you find a supplier saying they're selling a better grade of transmission it might be impossible to tell without destroying the part.

Something to keep in mind.

Yes, that is my concern and why I posted this question here. I sell at several different jewelry stores and they are requested a better transmission.

Thanks for your replies.

Rick

OOPS

I cannot vouch for this method, but I know two pen turners who add lubricant to their transmissions before putting them in a pen. One I know uses WD 40 and the other uses a light oil (3 in 1 maybe?). Both of them claim that it makes the transmission move more effortlessly and removes the "glitches" that you sometimes feel as you twist them. I have never done it myself, so YMMV, but you might try that and see if that makes an improvement.

RickLong

I cannot vouch for this method, but I know two pen turners who add lubricant to their transmissions before putting them in a pen. One I know uses WD 40 and the other uses a light oil (3 in 1 maybe?). Both of them claim that it makes the transmission move more effortlessly and removes the "glitches" that you sometimes feel as you twist them. I have never done it myself, so YMMV, but you might try that and see if that makes an improvement.

Thanks OOPS... Yes, I've tried this. IMO is only makes a minor difference.

I really am looking for a single twist transmission. The reason being, when someone over twists the transmission closed. The ballpoint will come back out and can leave ink on a shirt/pants.

Thanks,

Rick

SteveG

I also have been keeping an eye out for a single twist trans... for a couple of years. But nothing has turned up. I have also tried to adapt other kit single twist trannys. No success on that either. Most customers do not seem to like that double twist feature. I think mostly because they are not expecting it to keep twisting and push the tip back out. My personal opinion: a nuisance!

Russianwolf

I just ordered a couple different schmidt twist from Richard Greenwald to try. I know they won't simply replace the cigar tranny, but they may be closer to what you are looking for in terms of feel.

RickLong

I just ordered a couple different schmidt twist from Richard Greenwald to try. I know they won't simply replace the cigar tranny, but they may be closer to what you are looking for in terms of feel.

Thanks.. would you PM me his URL?

Rick

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Try Here

Wood-n-Whimsies a IAP Vendor sells a single twist cigar kit so they might have the mechanisms...good folks to deal with.

Top Bottom