Upgraded my set up and have 1 question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

I was using the 12 36 jet with the regular set up of 2 MT mandrel. I just order the bigger brither 1642 EVS (for pen turning) go figure. Anyway I'm ordering the beall collet chuck as well and I need to get a tool rest suitable for the pens. The question is which tool rest do I get I figure I want either 4 or 6 inch but don't know the rod diameter and the eight. I figure is 1" rod but which eight do I need for this lathe?
Ah olso I got a 1/2 crown pro spindle gouge I got that one already the other day and after making about 4 or 5 pens it's becoming my new best friend.
Thanks
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I see Ed Davidson's videos show a round stainless rest about 3/4 to 1 inch diameter. Measure it out so it clears the head stock and tail rest but you do not need to change position along the length.

P.S. Try a small side sharpened bowl gouge or resharpen the spindle gouge to a long fingernail shape and you may find you have a new friend that causes you to ignore your skew.

Rifleman1776

You can get tool rests made by local welders quite reasonably. Mine charges about $10.00 each. At that price you can get whatever sizes you want with whatever rod dimensions you want. I use angle iron instead of round rods. Matter of personal choice.

alxe24

Thanks for the feed back. But since I don't have the lathe as of now. Does any of you know what is the diameter of the rod?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom