Up or Down Designs on caps and pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Up or Down Designs on caps and pens?

I am doing some long range thinking and planning on this subject. I know there is no "one way" consensus, but I would like opinions on how you view what is up and what is down for designs on pens and caps.

For instance, a few years ago, Apple placed their logo on a laptop so that it was upright when closed and facing the user. But the logo was upside down when the laptop was in use.

While I do have my own strong opinions on some things, I sometimes I adjust my thinking when listening to some people's logic and appeal. And concerning pens with caps - How do you view what is up and what is down, and how do you deal with the design/layout?

George in another post with a link here shows a pen with beautiful carving in metal. BUT the horse will be upside down when writing. No problem for some, but others ( and me too) it would drive me nuts. I would have probably put the horse on the cap.

I generally think to put upright oriented graphics or pictures on the cap and let the pen body compliment the cap. Your opinions?

NOT Intended to start an argument, but I DO want input on what you or your customers prefer or comment on.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The pen will be seen in the closed position most of the time, so I embellish the pen in the same orientation as the Tighe pen.

When the pen is in use, a hand will hide most of the embellishment. With very few exceptions, pens are used for only a few seconds at a time and when they are in use, the user is typically concentrating on the paper, not on the barrel of the pen.

Dario

While I see Stan's point, my personal choice is to have the design work while the pen is in use.

I guess that is why some designs are duplicated (mirror image) to make it work both ways.

mick

I too would prefer to see the design work while the pen is in use. For instance if it's a name or a design on the cap which has an "up" I determine if the customer is right or left handed and orient the design so that it's right when the cap is posted and in use.
Nothing drives me crazy quicker than using a pen with a logo or design upside down....lol and since I'm left handed unless I make the pen most are.

hewunch

The pen will be seen in the closed position most of the time, so I embellish the pen in the same orientation as the Tighe pen.

When the pen is in use, a hand will hide most of the embellishment. With very few exceptions, pens are used for only a few seconds at a time and when they are in use, the user is typically concentrating on the paper, not on the barrel of the pen.

I agree +1

Skye

To me it's a matter of:

POSTABLE PEN: If the cap is posted and is being used, it'll be upside down. If the cap is on, as if for storage, the logo will be right side up.

TWIST PEN: If the pen is a twist, then I prefer it to be right side up when writing because it's the same position as when in storage.

Bottom line is, pen closed, clip at top, image right side up. If you have a pen that's a piece of art, you hand it to someone in the closed position, cap on. You don't say, "Hey, check out my pen as I write with it!". I consider it artwork that is admired after it's presented and it's always presented with the cap on, always held with the clip pointing north.

If the cap is on, it's only natural to hold the item with the cap pointing north.

jskeen

I vote for it's gotta look right closed. Let's face it, most people that buy pens in the price range we're talking about for a custom designed handmade pen don't have just one. They usually display their prizes somehow and rotate them in and out of use. It's gotta look right in that glass top case or drawer, as that's how it will be seen most of the time.

Same goes when matching the grain or resin pattern in a WW pen. I always cut the blank so that the cap blank, custom centerband (if the material will let me make one) and then the pen barrel in the closed position line up. If the grain or resin patterns happen to align when the cap is posted, that's a bonus.

marcruby

I look at the pointy part of the pen when writing, not the horse's end. >:p So I'm with the crowd that wants the pen to look its best closed. That maximizes its show off value.

Marc

Since I rarely cap a pen to write with.. in my opinion most pens are unbalanced with the cap posted .. just my opinion for myself.. I would like any special design on the cap so it could be seen laying on the desk. Your hand covers any design on the barrel and if it is a highly figured design such as Mr. Tighe's designs, I'm thinking the design and carving would become uncomfortable in my hand.... again only my opinion on my usage.

fiferb

I'll cast my vote for looking correct in the closed position as Mr. Tighe has his pen. I agree that this type of pen will be displayed in some fashion and would look funny storing it with the cap down.

leehljp

Member Liaison
OK, another question, and I should have put this in the original question. What is your opinion of FLAG pens? Is it OK for a Texas or other Flag pen to be upside down when writing? I am serious about this, because I want to make a couple of Texas pens for my daughter and son in law.

Skye

If you're like serious serious about it, make a pen like a Jr Gent or a Gent with a non-posting cap. That way the flag can be right side up when the top is on it and since you can't post the cap, it can't be put on upside down.

PaulDoug

Well, I think the flag should be right side up when the pen is closed. It will be that way most the time. If it bothers a person to have it upside down when posted, don't post it.

If it was any state flag but Texas, it would be more important..... JUST KIDDING!

mick

To me it's a matter of:

POSTABLE PEN: If the cap is posted and is being used, it'll be upside down. If the cap is on, as if for storage, the logo will be right side up.

TWIST PEN: If the pen is a twist, then I prefer it to be right side up when writing because it's the same position as when in storage.

Bottom line is, pen closed, clip at top, image right side up. If you have a pen that's a piece of art, you hand it to someone in the closed position, cap on. You don't say, "Hey, check out my pen as I write with it!". I consider it artwork that is admired after it's presented and it's always presented with the cap on, always held with the clip pointing north.

If the cap is on, it's only natural to hold the item with the cap pointing north.

Skye makes a great point and has made me rethink my stance. A name engraved is one thing but if you've created a design that elevates the pen to a "work of art" then it should be in the correct orientation when closed and displayed

leehljp

Member Liaison
You guys are great. I appreciate all of this input. This is the kind of information for which I was hoping.

A bookmark for the discussions for sure.

Thanks, and further inputs are welcome.

PenTurnerJohn

Here's another related question having to do with pen orientation. When you have type or inscription along the barrel [upper or lower] should it be read with the upper barrel [clip end] to the right or to the left?

Sort of like the end binding on a book when it is on a book shelf in a book store or library. Do you turn your head to the left or to the right to read the text? Sometimes it looks like I've lost my head as I keep turning back and forth trying to read the titles.

So what is "protocol" for placing text on a pen barrel?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here's another related question having to do with pen orientation. When you have type or inscription along the barrel [upper or lower] should it be read with the upper barrel [clip end] to the right or to the left?
Sort of like the end binding on a book when it is on a book shelf in a book store or library. Do you turn your head to the left or to the right to read the text? Sometimes it looks like I've lost my head as I keep turning back and forth trying to read the titles.
So what is "protocol" for placing text on a pen barrel?

Good question. I don't know a specific protocol and would have to say that in the the English Euro writing environment - hold the pen horizontal with cap on the right side and the clip up. Put the inscription/name or label on the visible side in this manner.

On the barrel of the pen, place it in this manner also. I personally don't like this, but as pointed out in posts by Skye and others, a very nice capped pen is noted as a 'writing instrument', and as such is viewed as a whole. Therefore with the cap on the pen, place it in the position as listed above and write the inscription from left to right. (I wonder if a "Left Hander" would like the inscription written when viewing the pen with the cap/clip up - on the left side?)

I am not the expert on this but that is what I "think" was the overall consensus above.

Again, if others have comments and insights, please bring them on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom