unknow wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samm47

I need some help...I was looking auond a brush pile and pick up a small log that I didn't know what was....So today I was cutting it and was wondering if anyone could identify it for me....The wood is snow white and when you cut it, it has a slight camphor smell. Camphor is not native to Iowa...And it was just a find...Can you help me with my problem? Also it is a very light weight wood...[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I would suggest you have found some Sassafras. I just turned some last night and it was exactly as you described...bought it in Michigan.

In fact, my wife thought I was turning a eucalyptus it had such a strong "camphor" smell. The camphor smell has a hint of "root beer" smell as well.

samm47

here is the wood and a leaf, help me?

20041117192938_PB170015.jpg
<br />

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Shar...if the exposed wood shows almost no grain at all, it's aspen...a close relative to poplar, but poplar has a slightly more pronounced grain. BTW, aspen is quite often used for wedding pens due to it's snow white appearance.

William Young

My vote is aspen but then it could very well be poplar because they are closely related. Here is a pen I made from aspen grown locally in BC where I live. Very white and very little grain except on some of the larger boards. I only have a couple tons of it [:)]
W.Y.
66243767.jpg

ilikewood

Looking at the chainsaw cut on that limb, that leaf looks pretty big. How long is that leaf? It looks 5 to 6 inches long...can you give us a perspective?

I found this picture of a "Bigtooth Aspen" which is a type of poplar. Does it look anything close?

Thanks

2004111855353_poplar08.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom