universal mandrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

george

Hello !

Since Im quite new at turning pens ( so far I made only dip pen holders ), Im in process of purhcasing mandrell. Since I have qiute old lathe ( no morse taper ) I think I will hold mandrell in Supernova chuck. The shop where I bought chuck has special carrier made by Supernova, so moser taper mandrell can be hold in chuck.
The reason for my question is this : they sell universal madrell with tappered bushings for turning from 7.5 - 12 mm diam. tubes.
Since you (probably all) know more than me regarding madrells please advice if I should buy this universal madrell or not. Are madrells made only for single diameter better ?

I read one forum topic regarding mandrells but it didnt help a lot. Unfortunatly this UK shop dont sell other types of madrells, but I would prefer to purchase by this shop since I did it before and they re really OK.

Thanks a lot for possible answer. BR,

200612018529_P_Penmandrel.jpg

George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Tapered bushings? That's a new one on me!! One problem is that slimline pens are 7 mm (OD)tubes that fit on a 1/4" mandrill...doesn't sound like yours goes small enough. I would also think that centering the blanks on the taper might be a challenge.

Many older lathes don't accept a morse taper so many of the turners here use various chucks to hold a standard mandrill. Check through the archive and you should find several ideas.

gerryr

I haven't heard of tapered bushings, but HUT sells some goofy step bushings, but they only work on a few kits and according to their catalog, they aren't pen kits. I would stay away from using an adapter to hold a Morse Taper mandrell. The problem you may encounter is an accumulation of tolerance in the manufacturing processes. On the other hand, Techntool(Supernova) makes excellent tools, so it might be OK. I would use a Beall collet chuck or even a Jacobs drill chuck to hold just the mandrel shaft, provided you can find either one that will mount directly to the headstock of the lathe. In any case, I wouldn't use the tapered bushings because bushings are kit specific. Two different kits may use the same diameter tubes, but the bushings will be different. That said, I believe I read that suppliers in Europe don't have bushings for the kits they sell, although maybe that's only the Regency kits.

george

Thanks for advices. I really wont buy this carrier since there would be really many grip points ( rod in MT, MT in carrier, carrier in chuck ). I guess I will buy just mandrell rod and with extra insert mount it on ( or inside ) axe.

The great thing about this site is that for few hours I totaly forgot that I must go visit my mother-in-law tomorrov ( anybody saw the dragon in cartoon Shrek ? ) But now I remember it again and Im alredy depressed. Best regards, George

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by george
<br />Thanks for advices. I really wont buy this carrier since there would be really many grip points ( rod in MT, MT in carrier, carrier in chuck ). I guess I will buy just mandrell rod and with extra insert mount it on ( or inside ) axe.

The great thing about this site is that for few hours I totaly forgot that I must go visit my mother-in-law tomorrov ( anybody saw the dragon in cartoon Shrek ? ) But now I remember it again and Im alredy depressed. Best regards, George

ROTFLMAO!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]

alamocdc

George, this is just a thought, but if your lathe will accept a Supernova chuck i would think it would also accept a Beall collet chuck. Charles (Tangboy) has a special price for us on his web site. Send him a message and see if he would be willing to sip to you.

BTW, welcome to the group.

Mogman

George

I use a similar 'universal' mandrel and have no problems - you just have to use callipers to check the diameters of your turnings. The tapered bushings go down to 7.5mm but the smaller straight bushings you can see in the photograph are 7mm.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom