A Unique Find - Fire Department Related

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I'm finding out half the fun in turning pens is trying to find unique woods to turn. I love finding woods that may not be historic but have a story behind them.

For years I've collected fire department memorabilia. Today, I found 20 wooden ground ladder rungs that were used by the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Only about a dozen departments still use wooden ground ladders, most located in California.

Now I have to come up with something fire related to turn. O' Squad 51 comes to mind.

I will post photos when they arrive.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Here they are complements of the LA County Fire Department.

I was thinking about using a Zen Pen Kit turned to the same shape as the rung. I am considering adding a bit of charcoal rubbed in on the grain and covering with some spar varnish. Can anyone recommend a spar varnish that won't take a decade to dry? To bad I can dye CA for faster results.

Attachments

• LAcOFD Ladder Rungs.jpg
    LAcOFD Ladder Rungs.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 306

rherrell

My dad was a Captain with the Los Angeles City Fire Dept. and I remember the wooden ladders hanging off the side of the engines. I also remember them using wood for the hook and ladder, that was back in the 50's and 60's when he was a tillerman....that's the guy that drives the back end of the ladder. I LIVED at the station when I was a kid, that's where you'd find me on weekends if my dad was working.:biggrin:

Fireengines

I tried to create a small ladder rung which has a hump in the middle which supports the majority of the firefighter's weight. The next pen will be straight across and use chrome instead of gold.

I found a document on the Internet how the LA County Fire Department create their ladders. I followed those instructions to create this pen.
Sorry for the poor quality photo.

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 201

Fireengines

I created som LACoFD logos through www.zazzle.com and will put one on my next pen.

Zazzle is amazing. On their website you can import your graphic, choose the shape of sticker, and resize it. The stickers are thin and will withstand CA. Cost about $5.00 for a sheet of 20 stickers.

I've used them police badges to put on my bullet pens too.

Top Bottom