Unidentified Wood Can Anyone Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustier

I work in a food service warehouse and at times we get fruits, etc in from foreign countries. We had some grapes come in from Costa Rica this past week and when they stacked them off the shipping pallet I grabbed it. Of course the wood may not be from there. The slats were 3/4" thick (oh just perfect lol) and you can see from pic that this is the heartwood and the outter is a pale off white. Has anyone got any ideas on what this is? I'm not good in wood identification but hope this is a suitable wood for pens. It's going to need some drying though.

20053704954_Unknown%20Wood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knottyharry

Mind you this is only a guess.
I have some black walnut that looks very similar to this. It's very dark like yours with a white streak running through part of it.
Harry

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have a buddy that gives my black walnut that comes from pallets used to ship stuff to steel mils.
How does 2"x6"x8ft. sound?
Your piece looks like black walnut heart and sap wood.
Hard to tell from a picture though.
Oh,BTW I'm getting more walnut today, I just have to make him a cigar pen out of some spalted stock he gave me that he paid for.The free stuff is gorgeous!

jdavis

I would say black walnut. Has the grain appearence of walnut and the white is present in most walnut. Do not know why anyone would use walnut for pallets though. They could send it to me.

Sawdustier

After a piece of this wood set in the house overnight you would not believe how much it lightened up. It's more of a light brown than the darker brown associated with walnut. It does have a strong smell when cutting it. The only other thing I have that smells that way was a piece of Rhodesian Teak and it doesn't look anything like that. If there's someone that can help I'd be glad to send a piece to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom