Understanding Gold Terms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I am not sure I understand what the term "Upgrade gold" means.

I get the point of 10kt,22kt, cobalt gold, Titanium gold etc. But not sure about "Upgrade". Where does it stand in relationship to the others?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I am not sure I understand what the term "Upgrade gold" means.

I get the point of 10kt,22kt, cobalt gold, Titanium gold etc. But not sure about "Upgrade". Where does it stand in relationship to the others?
I'm not sure but have been given the impression that it's difference between those manufactured in China and the better quality ones made in Taiwan.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

its_virgil

Gold, while pretty and even expensive looking, will not last as a plating on pens. Pens go in and out of pockets and purses and will eventually wear off (brassing) and expose the base metal upon which it was plated. This will happen even on expensive commercially made pens. To try to make gold platings on pens last longer manufacturers mix cobalt (if I recall correctly) or other elements to help make the gold plating more durable. This may be the upgrade gold sold by some suppliers. Other manufacturers place a coating of epoxy or other clear material over the gold in hopes it will help with brassing. Titanium gold is not gold at all but gold colored titanium and is a very durable plating. This is my understanding of the topic. I'm sure I will be corrected if needed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

bmachin

There was a long, long thread on the topic of gold finishes here a few years back that really got off into the weeds about whether 10k, 14k etc even mean anything when it comes to plating. I can't remember if anything was ever resolved, but there was a lot of back and forth that made for interesting reading.

Probably a hard one to find.

I know this doesn't advance the discussion but just thought I'd point it out.

Bill

Top Bottom