Undersize drill bit for Spring blossom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

Spring Blossom Rollerball Pen Kit
Drill Bit required -- 14.5mm"

when drilled the blank hole is just too small for the tube!

I forced the tube into the hole and split the blank.
I re-drilled the hole into another blank still too small.
I mic the drill and bit it is just too small for the tube.

I did make it work by putting sandpaper on a dowel rod - then on the lathe and rimed the blank hole until the tube slid in with ease.

I have never seen this have you?

paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I see it, all the time, Paul. I almost NEVER use the recommended "kit" bit, but instead, use a caliper to measure brass tubes, a drill size chart (located in the library,here) and make my bit selections based on whether or not I'm back painting blanks (I make almost entire alternative material pens the days), the type of glue I'm planning to use, and finally how much "meat" will be left around the tube after turning.

After ruining a $50 blank once by using the "recommended" bit, I ALWAYS use calipers, now.

Respectfully submitted.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another factor is the type of material. "Wet" or "oily" wood can close the hole, immediately after drilling. Redrilling the hole with the same bit does not resolve the issue.

For example, I always expect cocobolo to give me problems---if I am making one, I expand the hole with sandpaper. If I am making a dozen, I find a different bit that works on that wood, that night!

PenMan1

Another factor is the type of material. "Wet" or "oily" wood can close the hole, immediately after drilling. Redrilling the hole with the same bit does not resolve the issue.

For example, I always expect cocobolo to give me problems---if I am making one, I expand the hole with sandpaper. If I am making a dozen, I find a different bit that works on that wood, that night!

I think Cocobolo actually means "cat" in some other language! It does pretty much what it wants to do, only what it wants to do and rarely behaves the same way twice! Yep, Cocobolo means cat with bad attitude:)

If I think their is any chance a bit might be off, I drill throw away wood and slide the tube through. Saved me a lot of bother alot of times. Lets keep having fun. I do, reading all these great ideas. Thank you all.

gallianp

The drill bit is just too small for the tube. Drilled 4 different kinds of wood - same results --

This bit cost me over $13.00 plus shipping -- this is a bit steep for my pocket book (pun)
I had already purchased the kits and needed the bit to make the pens -- I did not have the next larger size bit so sandpaper was the next best investment.

I am also allergic to Cocobolo.

Thanks for the responses -- not sure where the "fun" poster was coming from but thanks anyway.

PenMan1

Hang on to the bit, Paul. This is NOT a knock on Spring Blossom or Roman Harvest, as I love both of these sets. BUT, I have noticed on both of these sets that tube sizing is all over the place. On one occasion, on several sets of hardware bought from the same place on the same date, one set of tubes were so tight that in order to press in the components the tubes had to be flaired. The next set, fit was so loose that the components had to be epoxied into place.

I've had this happen on several sets from several different manufacturers, I just noticed it being more frequent on these two particular sets.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom