Under cut tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Flynny

Does anyone know of a tool to undercut the end of a blank that butt up to an middle insert?
I want to slightly undercut the end of the blank while on the lathe so that there will not be gap when it is put together.
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

John, I usually do that off the lathe just before assembly using one of Rick Herrell's sanding jigs. The one that uses small pieces of abrasive in a manner similar to a pen mill. I also use a small reamer to assure brass tubes or threads are slightly beveled.

I find the finishing sanding jig easier than mounting the pen body and undercutting slightly with a small skew or scraper (or a piece of abrasive mounted on a piece of steel).

Dead square to slightly undercut works for no "gaposis".

Hi John,
Greetings from a Cape Codder !
I do not use pen mills for that reason, I square up my blanks on a belt sander with a home-made jig using the right size punch for the tube. In other words, square the blank to the tube, nothing but perfect fits since then. See Youtube Lynn Lacy squaring pen blanks.

Irv

Does anyone know of a tool to undercut the end of a blank that butt up to an middle insert?

I want to slightly undercut the end of the blank while on the lathe so that there will not be gap when it is put together.

John

Grind a HSS Allen key or bit plank to shape and make a wood or derlin handle

Have one where left some elbow on the Allen key and come in from side, the touch up with fine point from front

Jibs smiggs... [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PenPal

This is what I do. I used to use the square wood block with a cut off mandrel fitted in front of the Sander. I now use the same mitre square attached to the mitre square in corporating two sets of punches, metric and Imperial to accomodate the proliferation of pen kits these days.

Works for me. PS I ream the brass.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 176
If you undercut your blank you will be pressing against wood instead of the tube. This is a bad thing as the wood isn't very strong and is apt to split. Even if not during press it could split if dropped! You need to figure out how to make the end square! There is a jig out there for this! I use it on every pen that I make. It slows you down a bit but you get a perfect pen every time as far as gaps go. It is not about fast it is about excellence! Learn to do it right and you will just get better and better!

Top Bottom