UK Pen kit suppliers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

hi reg, try turners retreat, at the moment thats where i get mine from, plus good after sales. oh and welcome to i a p. regrds colin.

UKpenmaker

Welcome to the addiction Reg,[:p]
As said if you want a good variation in yout platings, most of us ship in from USA or Canada. The kit are much cheaper even with the shipping costs and import duties, if you get any.
Turners retreat are about the best company in the UK and are statting to offer a few more kits with different platings, but still quite dear[:(]

Ligget

Originally posted by theturningcircle
<br />Mark - have you had any more thoughts on organising a group buy.
Ian

Ian I have not thought much into it since I came home from the UKAP meeting. Needing to contact our friend in Blyth to organise a pricing policy, will get back to you shortly with details either way.

philb

Hi,

Do any of these sites list all the popular pen kits? As craft-supplies doesnt do the Sierra, BAron, Sedona, Churchill etc.But some of the others do, but dont have the Jr series etc!

Do you lot form the UK tend to do small orders from a few companies, Like 10 blanks and a few pen kits from one and a few blanks and pen kits from another?

Why cant one company do everything: Pens, Blanks(Acrclic and wood), Micro-MEsh and Finishing bits!

Oh one moew thing, do the UK lads order there bushings form the USA/Canada also? As i have the general 7mm pen mandreal, but only have the bushings for the slimline thatseems to be the only popular pen kit in the UK!

Cheers

drayman

phil, most pen kits use the 7mm mandrel, but when you order a different kit you will also need the bushing set for that kit, cos all pen kits are differing diamiters.i am waiting for the next group buy for some sierras as i have not done any yetcos we over here cant get them here.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hiya Phil and Reg, welcome to IAP. You should have joined a month or so ago. You missed a good time. [8D]

Anyway, don't worry about having to buy all the kits and blanks from one USA source. If you keep the orders small and seperate, you won't get rushed for import duty. I may be wrong but I think the limit is $38. ( does anyone know for sure? )After that you get nailed.
Smaller packs will go through regular post too. Some people have suggested try to get them through as gifts, but I think the same limit applies. I also doubt companies will risk lying just to save us a few bob.

philb

Do you order yours form the USA or Canada then?

Ive looked on CSUSA, and the sites listed above! Just wondering if you knew how much import tax was?

Also anyone in teh UK that has some of the better pen-kits only vailbale form the US and Canada etc, I have plenty of Wooden Pen Blanks that I can SWAP for KITS!

Or if I dont have them as blanks yet I have many types of wood that can be prepared for blanks!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by philbaldwin
<br />??????????????
What does this mean? ??????????????????????????????????[:(!]
Who were you directing your questions to?[;)]
If it was me, then I have only bought from CSUSA. The rest I make.
I'm not too good with wood, so tend to stick to plastic and metal, so I don't need any wood.
Your tax will be about £18 / per $100 spent ( IIRC )but I could be wrong.
On a $100 order you may also pay delivery and clearing charges from either Parcel Force or whoever clears it.

THATS WHY I SAID TO KEEP YOUR ORDER SMALL........BELOW THE THRESHOLD

Pompeyite

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Hiya Phil and Reg, welcome to IAP. You should have joined a month or so ago. You missed a good time. [8D]
I second Stevens welcome to you both.[:D]
Your questions are the same as all of us have been asking, we in the UK are badly served by the suppliers of pen turning kit.
Since our first UK meeting was held at Trurners Retreat, we had the chance to talk to the owner and suggest some better ways to help us. We through Mark Liggett are forming a list of UK members to try to liase better with T.R. We hope this will make a difference in the situation but it is still early days yet.[:)]
Happy Turning guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom