Type of paint for tubes???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I know testers is used often and they have enamel or acrylic paints.I know the enamel works but was wondering if the acrylic will as well?I use epoxy to glue tubes not CA so not sure that makes a difference or not.Thanks everyone,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Victor:
Curtis turned me on to Cerambcote (I can never spell it, but can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, et al). It is a very fast drying acrylic paint that covers nicely with one coat.

It works better for me than Testors, or any of the others I have used.

Lenny

Victor,
Listen to Andy as he knows what he is talking about but let me just say this ... don't think you can buy just any acrylic paint .... stick to the brand he recommends... I bought a set of acrylic paint and have had lousy luck with it!
One thing I have had luck with ... (but would love to hear what others think on the subject) is adding just a drop of paint to the epoxy when I mix it up to glue the tubes in.

PenMan1

Victor,
Listen to Andy as he knows what he is talking about but let me just say this ... don't think you can buy just any acrylic paint .... stick to the brand he recommends... I bought a set of acrylic paint and have had lousy luck with it!
One thing I have had luck with ... (but would love to hear what others think on the subject) is adding just a drop of paint to the epoxy when I mix it up to glue the tubes in.

LMAO! All acrylic paint AIN'T the same! If I could get somebody to pay the $5 postage, I'd gladly box up all of those that DIDN'T work and get'em out of the shop.

I've also used a drop of paint mixed in the Epoxy (Monty's EZ 5 minute), BUT the emphasis is one ONE drop...NOT drops. One drop works great, two drops ISN'T twice as good:frown:

bgio13

I've used Rustoleum Painters Touch from a spray can also. A couple squirts in each end of the blank usually does it. You can also spray some on some wax paper and use a q-tip. I use epoxy to glue in tubes and will use a little of the paint to tint it for good measure. Hope this helps.

Bill

JoeOCNJ

I build scale models, and use Tamiya acrylic paint, havent had too much luck with it because I never have enough forethought to paint them ahead of time, so I usually drill the blank, paint it, then clean up a little in the shop. I use gorilla glue so I wet a Q-Tip and moisten the inside of the tube, and never fails i usually end up wiping the paint out. I would imagine if i use enamel paint I wouldnt have the same problem, but havent tried it yet. The other thing I do is after scuffing the tube, I color it in with a black sharpie marker so if i do wipe the paint from the tube it somewhat hides my impatience. Also, if you use gorilla glue, you could try (instead of swabbing the inside of the blank) just press the wet swab on the edge of the hole and let a drop run down, do it on 4 sides and you have decent coverage inside as far as moistening goes for the gorilla glue.

76winger

I've just started painting a few tubes and blanks with leftover spray paints so I'm new to this technique as well.

What is the difference you mention between the acrylics?
Do some dissolve when the glue is a applied and then look blotchy?
Or is it that some don't adhere to the tubes and well as others?
Or something is something else?

Lenny

I've just started painting a few tubes and blanks with leftover spray paints so I'm new to this technique as well.

What is the difference you mention between the acrylics?
Do some dissolve when the glue is a applied and then look blotchy?
Or is it that some don't adhere to the tubes and well as others?
Or something is something else?

For me it was an adhesion problem. I painted some tubes the other night as well as the inside of the blanks. Gave it 24 hrs to dry and the stuff was flaking off BEFORE I could mix the glue up. :eek:
I got some different stuff to try... next time .... and will look for the Cerambcote Andy suggested ... But unfortunately the closest place that might have it, where I am, is an hour drive away!:frown:

76winger

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I painted some last weekend and haven't glued them up yet, but it looks like everything is still stuck quite nicely.

I assume you sanded your tubes before painting for better adhesion didn't you?
(better to ask and know than not ask and not know)

crabcreekind

just regular super glue works the best. i have never had the tube come out. but with epoxy some times i dont mix it up right... super is the best. its instant and there is virtually no mess inside the tube

seamus7227

I may have to try out the suggested paint. I typically use Kilz white primer and that has worked the best for me! but I let it set up overnite also at room temp.

jhogan9600

I use ceramcoat on my woodcarvings and I've used it on my tubes and blanks. What I've found is that on some blanks it doesn't cover very well.... could have to do with the age of the paint. It dries fairly quickly on the tubes and covers well, but I've found that if I don't allow it to dry over night it'll flake off when I insert the tube into the blank. I've had to throw away some blanks after gluing because of spotchiness. Never thought of adding the paint to the epoxy. Plan to try that this weekend.

spnemo

I like to paint the inside of the tubes AND add paint to the epoxy. I usually do this because doing one or the other doesn't work well. I will have to try the Ceramcoat acrylics maybe I can save a step.

Lenny

I like to paint the inside of the tubes AND add paint to the epoxy. I usually do this because doing one or the other doesn't work well. I will have to try the Ceramcoat acrylics maybe I can save a step.

Sean, I would think twice about painting the INSIDE of the tube ...:biggrin::tongue::wink:

:)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just for clarification...the paint I suggested to Andy and that is being discussed here is Ceramcoat made by Delta Creative. It is available at just about any hobby store in 2 oz bottles for just a couple of bucks. You do need to pay attention to what colors you buy. Some of them say on the label that they are translucent rather than opaque. The translucent ones are not going to do what you want them to do.

JerrySambrook

Another type to try that I have great luck with is Fusion by Krylon.
It is made for acrylics, and is usually fairly inexpensive, typically between 3 and 5 for a 12 oz spray can

Top Bottom