Which type of European do you turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveM

I have progressed through Slimlines, American Flat top Double Twists, Sierras, and 7mm European pens. Now, I am planning on adding Cigars, and some fountain pens to my rep. I was wondering if I should change to a regular European, (10mm drill bit, and the DT mechanism from Berea) to replace the 7mm. Are there any external differences in the pens. (Larger dimensions, or different lengths?)

I have just sold several pens, and a few slimline Pen and Pencil sets, and the Europeans have been a popular shape. I am fairly new to pens, but I have been turning Game calls, turkey calls, strikers, fishing lures, lace bobbins, doorknobs, guitar knobs, and other stuff for several years now. I have another batch of shows lined up for the summer and holiday seasons, and I was interesting in focusing on pens for them.

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I always liked the Berea 8 mm double-twist European, and I made quite a number of them. It is a pen that is a tad more heavier and rigid than the 7 mm version, and I like the twist mechanism better. All this combined with the use of a parker-style refill that allows for the use of gel refills. Not sure if there are cross-style gels, but my customers liked the gel well over the normal refill.

alamocdc

I prefer the 8mm Euro as well. PSI makes an 8mm version as well, called the Premium Designer. I typically prefer a single twist like the PSI, but I like turning the Berea 8mm Euro better. Both require a tenon to be cut, but the Berea is more straight forward.

I pretty much stick to the 7mm Europeans.. mostly because I can do them quickly and I like the cross refils.. they sell well. I have some of the 8mm and have had a few customers state a preference for the Parker style refills. Never done a Berea kit, but have looked at the catalogs lots of times.

I like the cigars real well, they are one of the easier pens to turn, (IMHO), and I do a lot of the 10mm fountain pens and rollerballs.

DaveM

Thanks everybody! I guess the jury's kind of split on these. I will try a batch of the 8mm ones. (Not sure where I came up with 10mm) I have the drill bit from the American kits, so all I am investing in is a set of bushings. Then I can have some of each, and see which ones do the best. I like the idea of a bit more weight, but some of my customers won't.

I have a whole bunch of pens that I am making for nurses, in several different styles, weight might become a consideration.

Thanks again,
Dave

beamer

I like to turn the Swiss. They're like chocolate!!! They're my favorite Europeans to turn! :p

Okay, i know that was completely unhelpfu, but i just couldn't help myself! :p :p :p :p

richstick1

beamer - the Swiss are neutral - you can't turn them either way! [:D]

I have not turned a European (pen kit) - but this post has been very helpfull Thanks all!

gerryr

The Berea 8mm Euro is a very nice pen, BUT there are a couple of things to keep in mind about it. The length of the upper wood part is extremely critical or it won't work. The whole transmission-finial assembly is very poorly designed. I buy PK-Montpar transmssions from PSI and use those in place of the Berea transmission. This does two things. First, it makes the length of the upper wood part much less critical and it allows me to cut off part of the finial thereby removing some weight from the upper pen body making it less top heavy. The PSI transmission is only a single twist rather than a double twist, but my customers don't seem to care.

bob winegar

Dave,

If you intend to turn the Berea 8 mm DT Euro (available from several suppliers) be sure to get the cap guage to make sure you leave the correct amount of wood in the upper part of the pen. And as with any pen using a Parker refill it is critical to NOT shorten the tube when squaring the end of the blank. In my opinion, it is a demanding kit.

Bob

Russianwolf

I hate resurrecting old threads but I have additional questions on these kits and don't see the point in starting a new thread.

1)Do the PSI and Berea 8mm euros use the same bushings? I would like to avoid getting the B sized bushings if possible.
2)Are the PSI transmissions available seperately?
3)Are the PSI 8mm available in anything other than 24k?

I have been turning the 7mm Euros and think they are okay, but I really don't care for the cross refills and would rather have the parker style. Per advice here, I've stopped buying anything other than chrome, platinum and the 2 Titaniums, so the PSI 24k kit is off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom