Type of drill bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

I am currently using a 7mm HSS bit sold by leevalley especially for pens. I sometimes get deflection in the bit making the start hole oblong. I make sure to go slow and let the bit do the work and have tried using an awl to make a center hole but sometimes still get the deflection. Am thinking of switching to a 7mm Brad point bit. Are any of you using a brad point bit or something else.
Thanks
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Same here, in fact I bought a set of brad points a while ago from Harbor Frieght (just to have around the shop).. up to 1/2" in 1/64" increments... TN coated for $24.99... figured worst case scenario if I needed one for some other work, it would be there...
Guess what... they have become my pen drills.. the suckers are sharp as a tack, don't wander and drill real clean... I miked them and they are dead on... either I got the bargain of the century, or got real lucky with a HF product... I don't care.. they work... Oh the nice part.. they have long brad points that make centering real nice...

wicook

Brian, the Lee Valley "pen kit bits" are definitely not the way to go. I'm using Fisch Vortex brad points that have a really deep brad (I can't think of a better way to say it, so have a look: http://tinyurl.com/53er6 ) and am very satisfied with them. Others find the Dewalt pilot bits to work very well, too, but I haven't tried them.

badwin

It's funny I live in Canada where Metric is supposed to be the way to go and yet try to find a 7mm brad point by itself. Lee valley sells them but are currently out of stock. House of Tools only sells a set and I've checked every hardware store I can think of.
Brian

Tom McMillan

I have a 7mm brad point carbide bit that I've used for over 10 years---it's never been sharpened and it still does a fantastic job. I think it's a German bit I got at Woodcraft back then---not sure if they still have them---but, I would like to get ahold of another in case it eventually dulls.

JimGo

Badwin, try Woodcraft. THey sell both separate bits and a pack of metric bits. Also, Bill Baumbeck sells Norseman bits that he swears by, and sells those individually.

I picked up a set of "standard" brad point bits from Penn State in 1/64th's for $18 or so a few weeks ago; they had them on sale.

Rifleman1776

I need to correct what I said. I do use brad points for almost everything. But recently I had to purchase the special size drill bits needed to make Baron pens from Arizonz Silhouette. The (expensive) bits are not brad point and do wander when starting. They are not easy to use and require great care to avoid ruining a good blank, as I did with my first attempt. And I have had blow-outs at the very bottom with them that I do not experience with brad points. It takes two to three times as long to drill with these as with a brad point. Not a knock at BB but my experience. I still buy Baron kits from him but I am doing so knowing what to expect.

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I use brad point for all end grain drilling. It doesn't wander.

wayneis

After talking to several penturners that have been doing this for several years I tried a Dewalt pilot point bit and liked it so much that I ended up purchasing a complete 29 bit set. Another very good bit I'm told is the split point bit like the Norseman bits. You can make any regular bit a split point bit if you have the right Drill Doctor sharpening system.

Wayne

badwin

Was in Edmonton and bought myself a 7mm brad point bit. Tried it out today. Wow what a difference. My new opinion don't waste your money on any other type of bit. Thanks for all the advice.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom