Tycoon upper barrel size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

The instruction sheet for this pen says to use a 15/32" bit for the upper barrel. I've only made a couple so far, but both of them had the same problem, the hole is too big for the tube and you really have to go heavy on the CA to get it to stick (don't know if these couple pens will eventually have a problem because of this - the glue didn't fail while turning and everything still comes out square).

I put a caliper on the tube for a new kit and it looks like it's 7/16" to me.

Has anyone else observed this? Kind of annoying because I did buy the drill bit when I first ordered the kit and I don't think I really have a use for it now (I know I could go buy a set from HF)...

Btw, I'm pretty confident this isn't a problem with my drill press - I've made several pens with larger tubes (e.g., Majestic Jrs) and the tubes fit fine.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
On my baron kits, the 15/32 bit makes a very tight hole...so I can't think of why it wouldn't work for the Woodcraft Baron (Tycoon)...maybe there's some slop in the drill press?

Oops, just read the last part of your post....in that case, I have no idea!

Dave_M

I've used the 15/32" bit for the couple of Tycoons I've made and the fit was good. This brings up a good point. I really need to start micing these things instead of trusting that everything will always be as it should.

redfishsc

Originally posted by Monty

I never trust the kits to suggest the best fit. I always mic mine and select the best fit bit.

100% agreed. I have been burned by several very reputable suppliers by this problem. There has been thread after thread about it in the couple years past about this issue, and we all come to the same conclusion to use digital calipers for the right fit. I look for a drill bit that is about .01 bigger than the tube, but you don't always get a nice even number.

Drill a test piece if possible to see if the tube fits.

Also note that wood will drill differently than acrylics because, at least in part, the grain can cause the drill bit to deflect a bit.

The most useful purchase I have ever made for pen turning is this puppy from Harbor Freight. For $50 or less (it's on sale frequently) you can't beat it-- the drill bits are quite accurate for our purposes and EVERY size you could possibly need, from 1/2" and under, is in there.

01611.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1611

Top Bottom