Tycoon now what wood to use? Suggestions??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bubbatww

Finally breaking out from the Slimlines and the Wall St. Know this isnt a top of the line pen but a good starter point for me, have been thinking about a Amboyna Burl? Is there anything special about this wood that I need to know? Or what would you guys use?

Troy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Finally breaking out from the Slimlines and the Wall St. Know this isnt a top of the line pen but a good starter point for me, have been thinking about a Amboyna Burl?
Is there anything special about this wood
Hi Troy; Everything is special about Amboyna Burl, the Rolls-Royce of burls!

It can only make your Tycoon look better.

Pioneerpens

just an fyi, i recently made a Tycoon, used a beautiful blank from ankrom exotics, I crushed the couplers going into the pen! Had to order another pen just to fix this one. Actually they came today so I will attempt to put it together again. BE GENTLE when you press the couplers in. Hopefully this will help you avoid my mistake.
Amboyna would look nice too btw.
Jennifer

bubbatww

Mack, thats what I'm hoping for. Where is a good place to pick up a few pieces?

Jennifer, thanks so much for the heads up..I will be gentle..Let me know how yours turns out. Would love to see it.

Lenny

So many great woods .... just looking through the stuff that gets put up for sale here makes me poorer.... but Amboyna burl has to be my all time favorite!
The Tycoon is a very nice kit, .... similar to the Jr.Gent II, although I like the Gent slightly better.
Look forward to seeing your finished pen.

gmreeves

Out of the two Tycoons I have turned, one of them split the Cocobolo while inserting the couplers. I think this happened because either the brass wasn't perfectly cleaned out (possible excess epoxy in the brass) or it was just too tight a fit. I didn't notice the crack until after assembling the pen. Then I had to dissassemble and repair. I second the proposal to be gentle. I also did one with Amoyna and gold and it turned out great until a couple of days later the CA finish started cracking because the wood wasn't dry enough. So far, I'm not destined to be a tycoon. :biggrin:

Top Bottom