Two Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

These are here in penturning because the 'show off' category is for best work. These are not my best. Not bad, just not my best bragging stuff. They will be put in my display case for cheapskate retirement market here. You know, these folks will spend $10,000.00 on a cruise but drink free coffee all day at the Senior Center. Oh, well. The pen on top is made from South American Citrus. I don't know what kind of citrus. I have a chance to purchase a fairly large quantity of this and planned to make quite a few duck and game calls from it because it is hard and dense and somewhat oily. But the wood has a lot of cracks that destroy cosmetics of the calls. Smaller pieces will become pens. The yellow color, in my opinion, does not compliment the platium I choose. Wanted to try it, usually I stick with dark woods for the platinum/silver fittings. Note the center band. The kit came from Bear Tooth Woods and has three options for the center band: plain usual style, one as shown or two as shown. Interesting. The lower pen is made from what I believe is Bill Baumbecks 'steelwood cocobolo'. It is neither steel or pure coco. It is laminated and plasticized. I got it in a trade. This is not my favorite type of turning material, I like wood that looks like wood. This stuff is very hard to turn. It dulls quality tools rapidly and takes a great deal of time to turn. It makes a DO NOT BREATH dust instead of shavings. It doesn't show but this is a black line clip kit. Two more things of note. The first is a change in the style of the tips, no longer plain. They now have a little step thingy in them. Not bad, but I'm not overly impressed either. The second, on the coco pen, I burned some black lines to compliment the clip. Stuck my big toe a tiny bit into the world of innovation. Uh, Oh! [:0] Brian Gisi and Eagle, watch out, here I come. :D

2005623165426_two%20slims.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

The citris has it's place, I think. I kind of like it.
The "steelwood coco" looks OK, but you are right, it will eat the edge right off of a tool! I just turned one in green... which looks really nice! (pictures to come when assembled)

I like the burned rings. Did you use one of those "purchased" burners, or make your own? I want to make some, and am considering guitar strings as wire... any suggestions there?

Nice work Frank.

vick

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />The citris has it's place, I think. I kind of like it.
The "steelwood coco" looks OK, but you are right, it will eat the edge right off of a tool! I just turned one in green... which looks really nice! (pictures to come when assembled)

I like the burned rings. Did you use one of those "purchased" burners, or make your own? I want to make some, and am considering guitar strings as wire... any suggestions there?

Nice work Frank.

I am not sure if this is helpful but I make my burners from picture hanging wire that you can get at any hardware. You can not get it in really small sizes but it is good for medium to large burn lines.

Make sure to make handles for the wire!

Czarcastic

Very nice clean lines... looks like they would be very comfortable to write with, which is my FIRST and FOREMOST citeria for a pen.
The citrus looks similar to Osage, but with a little finer grain.
How did it turn?
I picked up the KC Wire burners from CSUSA - first the large set for turning bowls and goblets, then the pen set when I had a 15% coupon. [;)]

I know you could get all sorts of stuff for burning lines - even heavy cotton like eagle said - but for the small amount of $ for one of these wire kits, I'd rather have the right tool. JMHO. Besides, my kids use them, and I like the color-coded heat-free handles. [:eek:)]

-Czarcastic

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />The citris has it's place, I think. I kind of like it.

Nice work Frank.

Thanks, Michael. The burn wire is just some old black wire I have kicking around the shop. I wrapped the ends around a couple hunks of scrap dowels. This same piece of wire has been used on dozens of duck calls. Anything will work, no need for expensive or fancy. I have tried copper wire and don't like because it heats up the full length very rapidly. It is the wood you want hot to burn, not the wire or your fingers.

Rifleman1776

Czarcastic asked, "The citrus looks similar to Osage, but with a little finer grain.
How did it turn?&gt; CZ, it turns nicely and is pretty. I'll probably turn more of it. The finish was good and not too hard to achieve either.

Thumbs

Whew! Much nicer picture this time, Frank! Nice work![:D]

(I won't say anything about the mistake picture just in case they didn't see that one. [}:)])

JimGo

Frank, I like the shape of the lower barrels; I agree with the comment above that they look very comfortable, which is a BIG influence on how much I ultimately like a pen.

Not too shabby!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by knottyharry
<br />Very nice, nice clean lines and does look comfortable.
Is the Citrus the only one with the Platinum hardware?
I like the color also.
Harry

Yes, I used 24K gold on the other. My slims get 24K and from now on all my others will be titanium or equivalent plating. Slims are my low price point pens.

Fordtek1

I really like the citrus pen. Have you ever considered using mig welding wire for a burning wire. It's small in size and if you don't have any, stop by any welding shop and I'm sure they'd give you a small amount of it for nothing.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Hey Rifleman do you make the insides for your calls or do you buy them (the plastic ones) all ready to just be inserted?

So far, I have only purchased manufactured reeds. I have found several sources outside of HUT. And, the manufactured ones (usually) have good sounds. [like HUTs coyote howl is worthless IMHO] But serious collectors want even the reeds to be made by the call maker so I may venture into doing that soon.

jenamison

I've made some Duck calls from Hut (using their inner parts) and they suck. I myself am not a duck hunter, but several at the department are and they liked the turned part but the inside was worthless too.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />I've made some Duck calls from Hut (using their inner parts) and they suck. I myself am not a duck hunter, but several at the department are and they liked the turned part but the inside was worthless too.

At the risk of getting zapped for being off-topic on the penturners forum.....As I said, I have had good luck with HUT reeds. Some very discerning duck callers and hunters of other game have given the sounds from my calls high marks. They are tunable and that makes a difference. Type of wood used makes a huge difference. Some woods don't sound for squat (pine, hickory, few others). Hard, dense woods do best. You can't go wrong with cocobolo. Only problem is that is not unique among call makers and buyers are a little bored with it and it is expensive. But it does have a great sound. Walnut is good, about 80% as good as coco. Antler is good. I experiment, sound and low price are two chief criteria as well as uniqueness and appearance. I'm working on a stash of sugar berry a/k/a hackberry that is very good. Osage Orange, great. If you don't like HUT reeds, write me off-forum and I'll send you a lead or two on other makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom