two questions for Dave, or anyone else

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

Dave, I forgot this in my email to you.
I have two small bowls drying and the last few days my unheated shop has gotten down to freezing or less. How will this affect the drying time. Also, can the alcohol be used over and over, with different wood. My first assumption is that the low temps will retard the drying time and that repeated use of the alcohol is satisfactory.
what do you think.

dougle40

The lower temps will definately retard the drying times and at freezing temps it may not dry at all and could affect the overall finish .
I don't know what your particular situation is , but why don't you try bring them into the house after the finish has been applied and let them dry that way ?

Scott

Hi Jim,

You're right, lower temps will retard (but not necessarily stop) the drying times; and repeated use of the alcohol is OK. If you never topped off your alcohol bath with fresh alcohol, you might eventually reach a point where it's as much water as it is alcohol. But it would be a race to see if it would all evaporate before then anyway! Just top off the alcohol bath with fresh alcohol when you notice it is getting a bit low, and you should be fine for quite some time.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom