Two Pens - Soon to be dis-assembled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been trying to get the ole double cross figured out, and have a couple of candidates here that I'll be dis-assembling once my HF transfer punch set arrives.

The one on top, has a bit of a weak fit, and a crappy finish on it. I learned a lot from the double cross on it, because you can see that the 'under' cross doesn't align.

The lower pen, actually, looks a lot better, but I REVERSED THE STUPID BUSHINGS!!!!!!!! AAaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGgggggggggggHHH!

Oh well, I finally got my jigs setup to do this, but it's annoying to screw up two pens in a row....

20064295269_junk.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knottyharry

Hi Brent,
I like what you are doing.
I think I like the top pic better with the thinner lines.
I don't know if it is the pic or what, but it looks like you are dragging metal dust from the bushings back on to the wood, and darkening the wood.
Try wiping it down with some DNA ever so often, and sand towards the bushings.
IMHO
Harry

I like the thinner lines better as well, but I was having some trouble getting my insert material to match the kerf size I was cutting on the band saw. I did one blank with thin material, and cut the kerfs on the table saw, and that just didn't work out.

I definitely have problems with darkening the wood. At first I thought it was the black/wd sandpaper I used. But now that you mention it I think you are right and It probably is the bushings. Once I saw it was darkening, I tried using DNA and then compressed air to clear it up, but it just didn't seem to work. I'll try to stay away from the bushings on my next try.

Thanks!

wags54

I am sure no where near as knowledgable as these guys but I think I like the thinner lines better as well. Just thought I'd give an amatuers 2 cents worth. Both pens look nice tho.

stevers

Hey King Bubba,
I am just getting to where I can keep the metal dust off the blanks. I use black WorD also up to 2500, then go to MM up to 12000. I am learnig to sand toward the bushing. Little more of a pain but worth it.
Keep up the good work. I just got my first batch of Cigars and I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom