Two ladies with their first pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Last Saturday the local Rockler store held their annual "Woodworking Show Event" that runs in conjunction with the big woodworking show at the fair grounds and they offered customers and visitors the opportunity to make a pen for a very small fee. I was selected to do the "helper" part utilizing two lathes and Slimline kits and blanks that I had prepared with the tubes and were squared up on the ends. During the 2 hour time frame only two people decided they wanted to try this out. The ladies pictured were there with the family (dad's a woodworker) and the other two sisters and mom weren't interested in taking the plunge. One girl picked a figured black walnut blank and the other selected one of jatoba/Brazilian Cherry. We used the Shella Wax finish and finished with Hut hard wax and hand polishing. The pens came out nice and the fit was really good for first timers. The best part, a lot of Rockler customers watched the process and were introduced to pen making, the girls had fun (there was a lot of smiling is how I know that) and I had a ball. How fun it is to share what you like doing. My 107th and 108th students and it never gets old.
WB

Attachments

• The girls, 107, 108.jpg
    The girls, 107, 108.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Nice job Bill !! A good teacher makes a good student. A great teacher puts smiles on the faces of his/her students when they see the results of their learning experiences. Jim S

Top Bottom