Two Firsts....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimskio

Well this is the first time I turned burl wood and the first time for CA/BLO. The wood seemed to be no big deal turning but the finish was a different story. Watched videos on youtube so I would at least have an idea of what I was doing. The first coat of CA was going ok until the blank decided it was cold and needed a coat of CA and paper towel. I stop the lathe and what a mess. I picked off what I could then had to sand off the remaining bits. After learning the "feel" of things it did not go to bad. I ended up with six coats but had to sand to get ripples out of finish. Although there are some small ripples left. Still need a LOT of practice. The wood is cherry burl by the way.

jimskio

Attachments

• P3148784.jpg
    P3148784.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 255
  • P3148786.jpg
    P3148786.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

Looks nice! what ca are you using? I had the ripple/paper towel thing happen a lot in the beginning. I'm getting better but found that the medium ca seemed to work much better for me than the thick ca that I originally started with. So many tips and tricks here. I try a lot of them til I find what works. Keep practicing and have fun!
Jennifer

jimskio

Hey guys,

I am using medium ca. I will give the plastic bag a try, looks to be easier than the paper towel.

thanks
jimskio

Lenny

For me ... this is what works ...
Be very quick with the first coat ... a few drops on a "bounty" paper towel, swipe back and forth to spread it, then a quick pass to work it in, then quickly pull away. Let the lathe run for a minute or two and repeat. After 2 coats this way I then put just a dab of BLO on a paper towel and apply that with some friction, dry it with a dry section of the towel and then do another coat of BLO. For me, the BLO smooths out the CA, although it may also take more coats to build up this way ????
Whatever works for you is what works!

David Keller

It looks great to me. That's pretty cool coloring on that burl... It reminds me of chechen burl.

I've spun a few paper towels around the lathe, but I find the towels work better than the bags for me. I got more little ridges with the bags, but whatever works for you, works for you.

Top Bottom