two experiments finally finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

these were my first forrays into kitless pen making. They were started about a year ago and I'd play with them on and off. They've been sitting for about 11 months now in a state f near completion. I decided I could take the ten minutes to finish them today and while they aren't much to look at, they work. :tongue:

The White and Blue is Alt. Ivory for the cap and Alt. Cobalt for the body. This was an experiment to see how skinny I felt comfortable making a fountain. And believe me, there isn't much thickness left in the Cobalt. I got it warm while sanding and it literally bent in half and I had to straighten and hold until it firmed back up. You'll also notice that there are no threads on it. It is a snap cap and works quite well. It also uses a coupler from Schmidt to hold the Fountain Section.

The Black and Red is all Celluloid from WPP. This was actually the first and uses the coupler from a Baron that I had left over, but pressed all the way in so the external threads are covered. The section on this one is from a Stretch Kit as I trimmed the cap a little too short. The threads are single start 1/2x13, the coursest my kit had, I learned these weren't the best for this as they remove too much material.

These won't be the last, but I barely find them suitable for show and tell.

Attachments

• Picture 107.jpg
    Picture 107.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 202
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Great job Mike . Making a pen that thin is quite an accomplishment . Most of my fountain pens these days are about 1/2" thick at the body and that can be a tough thing to do with some materials . Keep at it , now that you have proven to yourself that you can do it you will feel more comfortable with your next projects .

Russianwolf

The blue pen body is a whopping 7/16ths. The walls are just under 2mm thick. I honestly can't imagine going thinner on anything except metal. I bet I could snap it in half with a thought.

The red one is about 1/2 inch and is likely where I'll be aiming for normally. It's comfortable in my hands at least.

Top Bottom