Two Cigar questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhammis

I made my second cigar this weekend and I'm really liking the finished product although they are a more challenging pen to turn. I had bought the starter set from PSI to include a few types of the cigars, plus the bit, bushings and some extra blanks.

I have two questions though that relate to the rollerball/fountain pen kit from PSI:

First, the assembly instructions say that a spring is supposed to be included and fit between the back of the refill and the cap. I had no spring in my kit but when I screwed it together it didn't appear to need any pressure. Am I missing something or is there a valid reason for needing that spring?

Second, when turning this one I turned the end of the long tube that attaches to the cap to the inside measurement of the centerband such that when you screw the cap on it slides inside neatly. When it's unscrewed though, it is larger than the end cap with the threads. It doesn't look badly, but just odd since I'm used to having all of my parts fit well. If I turned it to the end cap size then there will be a gap when the cap is attached.

Six on one hand, half a dozen on the other I suppose, but I really like this kit and would like to have a very presentable product when I put it out so I'm curious what more experienced folks do.

Here's a photo of the pen made from corn cob.

Attachments

• corncob cigar.jpg
    corncob cigar.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

First, the assembly instructions say that a spring is supposed to be included and fit between the back of the refill and the cap. I had no spring in my kit but when I screwed it together it didn't appear to need any pressure. Am I missing something or is there a valid reason for needing that spring?

FP, RB or BP? You don't need a spring with a FP. But there is a spring with the BP that goes between the refill and the nib. I've never done an RB version and can't comment on it.

Second, when turning this one I turned the end of the long tube that attaches to the cap to the inside measurement of the centerband such that when you screw the cap on it slides inside neatly. When it's unscrewed though, it is larger than the end cap with the threads. It doesn't look badly, but just odd since I'm used to having all of my parts fit well. If I turned it to the end cap size then there will be a gap when the cap is attached.

I don't understand the question. The PSI design includes hardware at both ends of both barrels. At the center of the pen, a threaded insert in the body barrel screws into a threaded insert in the cap barrel.

If you are asking about the shape of the cap and body barrels - that's your aesthetic choice. But I would think that because there is a fitting on both ends of each barrel, you probably would want the barrel diameter turned to avoid an abrupt change in diameter at the point where the barrel meets the fitting.

I've made a number of these - other than the somewhat tacky o-ring on the FP, and the fact that the choice of platings is limited, it's one of my favorites. I've been thinking about trying a closed end version of the FP.

ldb2000

The spring is only used on the RB , it keeps the refill pressed tightly in the nib/nosecone . The FP does not use it so it's not supplied with the kit . both ends of both barrels are supposed to be turned to the diameter of the bushings so they meet the hardware and sit flush with it .

I need to give these a try. My first attempt at a Cigar was from Woodcraft this weekend. The pen went well until I wrote with it. The ink cartridge sux! The free pens at the bank write better. And the pencil would not even go together correctly nor operate correctly. No more Woodcraft kits for me.

RAdams

Banned
The spring was probably already inside the hardware, so when you assembled the pen, it is right where it needs to be. Most springs are "pre installed" and alot of them are held in place with something (some sort of glue or pressure fit maybe, i dunno).

I have never done that kit, but i have done a few cigars, and a few cappen kits. The part about the bad fit is hard to understand what exactly you are talking about without a pic.

Re-reading your original post, it appears you turned the pen body to fit the ID of the cap, instead of the OD of the pen hardware. As Butch mentioned, the bushings should be prefectly sized to the OD of the hardware. In this situation, the ID of the cap is unimportant. If you turn the material to the diameter of the hardware, the cap will automatically fit because the pen hardware is smaller than the diameter of the cap.

PS, that is a nice pen! You did it proud for sure!!!

Top Bottom