From twisted minds come twisted pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

200512452241_triaxprototype1.jpg

Here's a sneak peek at new pen I'm working on. I'm not sure this belongs in the penTURNING section, since it's not very round, but pen making maybe. The pen will be a trilobed fountain pen that curves, twists, and tapers simultaneously. The program was very difficult to write. It's taken me a couple weeks so far, and I'm still dialing it in. I hand wrote it from 2D CAD coordinates so that I can utilize more effifient toolpath code than what a CAM system would put out. The model's pretty close on shape to the design I had in mind. I'll need to buy new carbide cutters to be able to machine it in titanium. Finishing it to mirror finish will be a bear. I also still need to design the front part, which transitions from trilobe to round with threads on the nib end for the cap. That should be a project in itself. It will have a miniature trumpet bell type cap that just covers the nib, and it can act as a stand on which the pen can sit on a desk. The pen is reminiscent of a feather or a flame when standing upright. The corners and sides will all get smoothed down for a nice handfeel. This one has a curve meant for a right hander. It nests in your hand nicely when writing. I could hake an opposite curve for a left hander.

I still need to design the threads that connect the front part to this part. It will be tricky because orientation of the parts will matter. I imagine progress will be slow, as rings are picking up this month.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I can probably make some with wood. The end will get threads, so it would take some kind of insert, but it should be possible. The front section will have the same issue. I used cherry for the first prototypes because it is so hard. It would look pretty nice if it were sanded out and finished. Metal will also look cool when it's a curved mirror surface.

Scott

Hey Bruce,

I really like the way this is coming out! Now I see what you mean by part chili pepper, part feather! I'm looking forward to seeing where this ends up!

Scott.

btboone

I did about 5 more iterations on the code to get the shape dialed in. I'll be seeing coordinates in my sleep! It looks pretty clean now. Now I need to decide whether to smooth out the wood or leave it in straight facets. I think the metal might look better smoothed, but the straight wood facets have a nice look. I sprayed some lacquer on them to see how it looks when a little more shiny. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

Shane, you're somewhat close; come on down sometime!

btboone

2005128171527_twistedwood1.jpg

Here's a picture of the wood after a few iterations. It's a lot smoother. I tried to show the light reflecting off of it, but it doesn't show as well in a picture.

btboone

2005128171726_triaxscreenprint.gif

Here's the original intent of the pen. The small cap can support it when standing on a desk, yet is small enough to still work in a pocket. There is no clip. Drilling deep enough for a rollerball or ink pump is definitely pushing the limits, but may be possible in metal. Wood probably would get too thin since the shape skews off to one side when the hole gets deep. I was looking for a pen that might stand out in a crowd. Pricing has yet to be set because it will depend on finishing time, but I'm thinking around $1600 for mirror finish titanium, and maybe something like $800 or less for wood.

PenWorks

That is really cool Bruce. I like it.
Here is a pic of a pen I like, might look a touch funky, but a wonderfull feeling pen in the hand.

2005128172246_michaelspens_arcangello.gif
<br />

btboone

Hi Jim,
This one feels better in the right hand. You grip on the two lower opposed sides, and by the time it gets to the crook of your hand, the twist is such that the flat rests against your hand. A left hand version would have the twist going the other way.

btboone

Jim, I wonder what the percentages are, something like 70% right, 30% left? That would be good to know for manufacturing forcasts.

JimGo

Bruce,
I believe it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15% of the population. However, it seems that because of the adversity which we must overcome from our earliest moments makes us more inclined to be successful. For example, 50% of the Beatles and 33% of the presidents of the United States were lefties, which is well above the statistical distribution you might otherwise excpect! In addition, Beethoven, Charlie Chaplin, Isaac Newton, Bob Dylan, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Michelangelo, Jimi Hendrix, Oprah Winfrey, Jay Leno and David Letterman are all left-handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom