Twist Pen Transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

saltwein

Hello All,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted to know if anyone has found a solution other than replacing the transmission that is in a pen that has already been sold?

The problem is the transmission turns to easily and as one is writing the point of the pen will creep back up into the body. Very irritating and frustrating to customers.

Does anyone know a cure or how to discover this potential before inserting the transmission?

Regards, Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, i don`t know what causes it, but i just had to do one for a customer. She was thrilled that i did it and didn`t question her about it after a couple of months use. Carl

redfishsc

I had one a while back that did the same thing. What you need to do is use a punch kit (cheap at Harbor freight) to knock the nib out, and then use a larger punch to knock the tranny out (not easy to do but can be done).

The worst part is, I use epoxy to assemble all my pens (EXCEPT ON THE TRANSMISSION!). On the one that malfunctioned, I could not pop the nib loose with the punch kit so that I could then knock out the tranny. I could not even get it to budge one micron! And I don't use much epoxy at all!

What I wound up doing was using a hacksaw to VERY CAREFULLY slice off the part of the defective tranny that was sticking out of the pen--- cleaned out any metal shrapnel, and just pressed the new tranny in over the top of the old one. Worked like a charm---- sure, there is a piece of old transmission inside the pen, but it doesn't effect anything, and nobody knows the difference.

jrc

If you press the transmission in to far the refill will not lock. Will the refill retract into the nib? I a batch of 100 kits I may have one or two bad transmissions.

Top Bottom