Twist mechanism too loose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBeck

I just turned a classic American style pen and everything is fine other than the fit between the upper blank and the twist mechanism. It is slightly too loose and when you twist the pen to extend the cartridge, it won't extend it unless a little downward pressure is applied while twisting. Does anyone have a fix for this situation? I was thinking about putting a small layer of 5-minutes epoxy inside the upper tube and letting it cure before putting the upper barrel back over the twist mechanism. I was thinking this might give me the tighter fit I need. Is there a better solution? More experienced advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

DurocShark

Try distorting the shape of the mechanism to grip better. Maybe push out the dimples a bit more with a pair of needle nose pliers.

JBeck

I used med CA as Harold suggested and the fit is a lot tighter like it should be but the twist mechanism is very stiff and takes a lot of pressure to turn. I tried it with another twist mechanism from another classic American kit and it is the same way. It is even stiff before I place the upper barrel over the twist mechanism so I'm sure the stiffness is not caused from binding from the barrels. Any suggestions?

John

Top Bottom