Twist Mechanism thread size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

b367

Could someone tell me what the thread size is in a 7mm slimline twist mechanism? Also can you use a tap to remove it from the pen?
THANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The transmission (twist mechanism) on slimline pens is a press in fit, no threads involved. You can't use a tap to remove it, but you can use a punch from the Harbor Freight center punch kit and a hammer and gently "tap" it out that way, or press it out. I don't have the time right now to look out the thread, but if you do a search you will find several helpful suggestions.

workinforwood

Normally what you do is you punch out the nib first. You feed a small rod through the center of the transmission and punch out the nib. Then you come in with a larger punch and push out the tranny. There are no threads.

airrat

here is what I use. Ignore the picture quality and the shape the tools are in I have not used them in years.

the one on the left is used to tap the nib off. it goes through the transmission.

The big on in the middle then fits over the transmission to protect it. The one on the right goes through the nib end to tap the transmission out. I used the lathe as a "press to push it through. I would put the big piece against the headstock and put the tail-stock against the 3rd one. Then lock it down and turn the tail-stock slowly. Worked great.

I don't remember where I got it this disassemble set from. But the punches you will hear talked about come from harbor freight.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 102

RichB

I just tryed to pull out one in a bullet pen using the refill because of the threaded end on the refill. All it did was pull out the insides of the transmission. Now I know how they are made. Pushing or hammering from the other side works the best.

soligen

If you cant remove the nib to use a punch, try this:

Mount the lower pen section in your collet chuck with the tranny sticking out.

Use the point of a skew to cut off the tranny about 1/16 from the barrel.

Use a punch to press the tranny remnants down inside barrel far enough that you can install a new tranny.

Top Bottom