Twist mechanism issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schellfarms

My wife turned a very pretty pen. But when I pressed the twist mechanism in, it went too deep. It is a 7mm slimline. For some reason the tube was shorter than normal. The point sticks out almost 1/16 when it should be completely retracted. Can somebody please tell me how to fix it without damaging it?

[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you have the infamous Harbor Freight puncch set, select the punch that barely fits through the nib. Hold the barrel carefully and rap the end of the punch to drive the transmission up a bit. Test fit until you reach the right depth. A wooden dowel can be used in place of a punch.

Nolan

You first need a punch to go through (smaller diameter) the twist mechanism so you can knock out the nib then you need another punch that just fits inside the tube to knock the twist mechanism back out. You can either knock the mechanism all the way out and start over or you can use slimeline bushings over the mechanism so when you press the nib back in you dont push on the mechanism pushing it back in too far. Hope this helps and FYI some members have gotten their punches at Harbor Freight. I personally made my disasimbly tools from some metal rods I had.
Nolan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Now that you know how to fix it, take a 2 x 3/4" piece of wood and cut it to 3 and 15/16 length. Dado a groove in it that is wider than your widest design on a "cross" pen. When you insert the transmission, put your new jig around the pen and the vice won't close to a dimension smaller than 3&15/16, therefore you won't do this again!!!

Sometimes you may have to adjust the transmission IN a little, but you will never be too far in, if the jig is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom