Twist Mechamism Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightal3

Have experenced the following two problems recently on Berea pen assembly:

1) on RT Euro screw cap the centerband will not stay in place, it keeps working loose and must be re-pressed in place. I did not use any glue , just pressed it on. Should I use glue or is there some other trick?

1) on a Euro twist BP the Twist Hold which presses into the lower tube is threaded and screws into the twist mechanism with pressed into the cap tube. I assembled & screwed the cp into the twest hold but it rotated free and will not unscrew not will the entire mechanism pull out of the cap. Its a beautiful antler & hate to waste it.

Any help will be appreciated.

2005514211843_IMG_0119post.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
ThoughI have not done this pen per se,From your picture the trim rin on the bottom tube looks a little "proud"
Berea makes a kit for woodcraft that the transmission"seats" in the part that holds the finial in.
With that pen component set,you screw the tranny onto the bottom tube tranny holder.
Place the upper tube over the tranny anigning the "grain" or presentation side.
Then you press the whole shooting match one more time.
The lower gold ring will be covered by the Center band.
If you could post a picture with the components separated as you describe it may be easier to see if that ids the problem.
It is because of this design that I started making "perfect Fits"
I had a lot of problems with those trannys.(People tended to over twist them and the tranny would loosen from the holder.
One the center band issue,
Do you have to turn the blank down to the brass on that pen?
You may have turned too much.
If that is the case there is a fix I use.
let me know.
Btw hice job on the pen.

wrightal3

Thanks for reply.
I have attached a picture with the pen separated. What you mentioned could be the problem with it not seating in the finial prong. Is there a way to get this out without ruining the twist hold?

O
n the loose center band it is turned down to the tube. I guess I could have got a little too much of the tube brass.

Randy_

I've gotten into the habit of adding just a "taste" of CA whereever something is pressed into a brass tube. I've read too many posts about parts loosening up and I don't want that to happen to a heavy-handed customer. Using CA makes me much more careful when assembling pens as I know, in advance, that they won't come apart if "I" make a mistake!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
For the CB find a taper punch.insert it into the top half with the ring on,give in a sharp whack to resplay the tube.
you'll know when you have splayed it enough, the ring will not turn.
There shouldn't be any need to glue parts together unless you screw up.
There may come a time that the pen may have to be dismantled for repair.
The key is to find out what you did wrong to begin with.
Glue should not be penmakers "bondo"
My guess is you may have had a wobble in your pen mill.
Get the top to seat properly first.If all else fails scuff the gold ring where it fits in the tube and put a DROP (or less) in the tube and reinsert the ring.(tranny holder)
Putting the glue in the tube will result in little if any spread of glue on the barrel due to squeeze out.
BTW for this use a gel type and let the glue set a couple of hours before putiing the refill in.

Randy_

Originally posted by cteaglesc<br />...There shouldn't be any need to glue parts together...Glue should not be penmakers "bondo"...

eagle's opinion probably carries a lot more weight around here than mine; but Dick Sing, Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham all agree that gluing parts into the brass tubes is a useful construction technique. Dick Sing, in his 1996 book says the following:

"Some metal to metal parts need to be glued. I glue anything that is threaded, because later twisting will place undue demands on the parts. I used to rely on pressing alone, but failures have occurred. Now I reinforce the pressing with glue and have had no failures since."

For someone who claims to think outside the box, it's hard to understand why eagle feels there is only one way to build a good pen???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom