Tuscon and Phoenix Shops to visit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hump3366

Vacation in early march and good stores to visit for a new pen turner for supplies or unusual blanks. Thanks

Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JFMobo

Here are a couple of places I visit when I go, nothing really special.

Woodworkers Source
18115 N. Black Canyon Highway
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-504-1931
or
645 W. Elliot Rd
Tempe, AZ 85284
480-355-5090

Arizona Hardwoods
2920 W. Thomas Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85017
602-233-WOOD

Haynie

Wood Worker's Source has really nice wood and can have great prices on some things. I have not seen any pen turning stuff though. No idea why this is all big and bolded

North Phoenix
18115 N. Black Canyon Highway
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-504-1931
Fax: 602-504-0359
Toll Free: 800-423-2450
Email: nphx@woodworkerssource.com

Tempe
645 W. Elliot Rd
Tempe, AZ 85284
480-355-5090
Fax: 480-355-5093
Toll Free: 800-713-5058
Email: tempe@woodworkerssource.com

Tucson
3441 S. Palo Verde
Tucson, AZ 85715
520-745-8301
Fax: 520-750-8622
Toll Free: 800-952-2123
Email: tucson@woodworkerssource.com

Gilrock

My shop is in Tucson....oh you meant a store... :)

For penturning supplies I'm always in Woodcraft in case you don't have one in you're area. They have a ton of different types of blanks and pen kits but if you have been to one I'm sure most of them are all the same. Woodcraft is on the south-east shopping area by the cross streets of Oracle Rd and Orange Grove.

I goto Woodworker's Source for a better selection of wood or when I want plywood that's better than Home Depot.

Gil

abaum

There is a Rockler in Phoenix and a Woodcraft in Chandler (a bit east of Phoenix). Those will probably be your best bets for pen supplies. As for blanks, hit up Woodworkers Source. They have about 20 species of wood cut down to pen blank size or you could buy a few feet of some exotic wood and cut it yourself.

Adam

manik

It's been a couple years since I made it up to the rockler store. Last I was there, they had some incralaster (sp) that was pretty when turned, but very chippy. More for someone with some practice under their belt. They did have a good selections of pen kits, but again its been a while since I've been there.

I usually purchase from vendors here at IAP, but if I can't wait, I will go to the Woodcraft in Chandler it's just closer than Rockler. The Woodcraft store has a good selection of kits and other supplies (bits, glue, bushings, ect.) They do have a good selection of "plastic" blanks with a big box of wood blanks to paw through. At times they have a selection of the more exotic woods in bundles/bags of 5 or 10. also a good selection of wood veneer if you want to start segmenting

Woodcraft also has a "wall" of pens that show off most of their pen kits so you can see what they look like.

The woodworker source is more for flat work, but they do have a selection of woods cut up for pen blanks. These woods do not have much if any figure and I have not seen burls at all in they pen section. But can be a place to see about 20 or so different variety of woods in pen blank size. Woodworker Source does have a nice selection of exotics for flat work and you could find something here to take a bd ft or so home and then cross cut for more figure. I got a nice piece of Birdseye maple for a pagoda box I am making there last week.

So it depends on what you are looking for. Woodcraft and/or Rockler for pen kits and supplies and plastic blanks, Woodworker Source to get a look at some exotics and maybe take a bdft of some for cutting up into blanks.

Top Bottom