Turtle Shell-Reply from Ohio DNR on pg 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I used to go turtle hooking as a kid (for food) but though the shells were really tough I don't remember them being that thick. Might be a problem.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Be sure to check out your state's fish and wildlife regulations. It may not be legal. But I sure hope it is, because I'd love to see it! [8D]

Tea Clipper

CS-UK sells an imitation tortoise shell blank. I wanted to get one but they were out of stock when I checked a month ago. Actually, they are still out of stock.[:(]
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdCat.cgi/Alternative===Tortoiseshell,2,,,A===B

arjudy

I have contacted the Ohio DNR and have not heard back from them yet. It's not worth doing something which is illegal. The Ohio DNR is pretty tough on individuals who break the law.

PenWorks

When I was in the jewelry business in the 70's, we use to trade tortiose shell to the Zuni indians to make jewelty out of. It became illegal to use.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Be sure to check out your state's fish and wildlife regulations. It may not be legal. But I sure hope it is, because I'd love to see it! [8D]

Yeppers, snappers are now endangered. And, as I understand it, off limits to catching.

AdamB

Just saw this place on Mythbusters tonight, you get the strangest ideas from odd places.
look at the bottom of the page... 4 different type of shell and many different kinds of antler, bone...
http://www.boneroom.com/misc/remnants.htm

Chris Burton

Originally posted by arjudy
<br />Has anybody ever tried using snapping turtle shell in making a pen?
A guy I work with catches the turtles for food and was asking me if I had ever worked with turtle shell before. Thought I would check here and see if anyone had experience with this material.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but a friend of mine has some old tortoiseshell (from an antique fan blade) and has told me that you need to boil the shell in water to soften it up. While it's soft, cut it to the approximate size and then wrap it around a mandrel and glue the seam (use a small overlap). After it has dried you can turn it.

arjudy

I got a reply from the Ohio DNR today:

Dear Mr. Judy,

Thank you for writing us with your question on turtle shells, antlers, and bone in the making of pens. Snapping turtles can be harvested legally as you may know, with a fishing license. They then can be sold for consumption as food, only. If the shells or other parts want to be sold, they need to be raised and possessed under a wild animal propagation license for commercial purposes. You could obtain the shells so long as you also obtain such a license and keep records of the sale. If your friend just wants to use some of his turtle shells that he legally acquired for you to make him a pen, that would be fine, but it could not be sold.

Antlers that are legally found shed deer antlers can be taken, possessed, bought or sold. Other deer parts such as hides, feet, and also including antlers that were not shed but legally acquired can be bought or sold so long as a statement is kept that lists the previous owners name, address, where and when taken and the number bought and sold. This documentation must be kept with the parts until they are made into a final product, like a pen. The regulations do not list bones, so their sale would be prohibited.

If you have further question on this information or the license information mentioned you may wish to contact the Law Enforcement Section in the Wildlife District Office near you or your local State Wildlife Officer. Their phone numbers are listed on our website on in the hunting and fishing regulations books. I hope this information is helpful and thank you for writing to us.

Pretty interesting stuff.

lybber8

Thanks for the info. I have been making quite a few antler pens for sale and this info is good to know. I looked at some of your pictures and really liked your work. Great idea on the custom stand. I have been making bullet pens as well.

Curt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom